Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Adam Smith <aj...@cornell.edu> on 2001/09/24 15:54:32 UTC

when to use Struts custom tags

I would be very interested in hearing people's views about when to use and
not to use the Struts custom tags for creating HTML. I am building an
application that I eventually want to release open source to an audience
that may only know HTML (and that is all I want them to have to know).

I can see where simple pages can be made simpler by the use of these tags,
but I can also see where it would quickly require a more in-depth knowledge
of how to use the tags, and about any idiosyncracies using the tags, and so,
put more of a burden on someone trying to customize the pages who only knows
HTML.

Also, I have another application in which I am thinking of having the output
be XHTML, initially going to HTML browsers. I am not sure that the final
output of the Struts custom tags would be backward compatible with HTML
browsers and parsable by XML browsers. (I have just started playing with the
custom tags.)

Thanks for any insight you can give.

   Adam Smith
   ajs17@cornell.edu