Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Thomas Garrod <wh...@gmail.com> on 2010/07/14 19:33:46 UTC

Getting started with subversion

I'm sorry guys (and gals), I have a very basic question: How to you get
files into your repository. I've got the O'Reilly book (2nd Edition), but
I'm afraid is presumes too much of me.

I looked at chapter 2, page 18, and it includes the following:

...typically use this when you have an existing tree of files that you want
to begin tracking in your Subversion repository. For example:

$ svnadmin create /ver/svn/newrepos
$ svn import mytree file:///var/svn/newrepos/some/project \

For the first line: what part of this is variable?
For the second line: how do I know what to enter for "var/svn?newreos/
some/project?"

The path to my files on my computer is Macintosh HD/Users/TommyHome/
KeelWorks/Projects/GraphicArt.

My command client is Path Finder is set to "Macintosh: MyTaxes09
TommyHome$" This is wrong, but I don't know how to change the
directory. All tips accepted, except "get a brain" (I tried that).

When I typed 'svnadmin create /ver/svn/newrepos' I got the following
response:

svnadmin: Repository creation failed
svnadmin: Could not create top-level directory
svnadmin: Can't create directory '/var/svn/newrepos': No such file or
directory
Macintosh:GraphicArt TommyHome$

If someone would simple pretend that I am a 2-year old and tell me how to
add files to the repository, I would be eternally grateful (or at least for
a long time).

Tomas

Re: Getting started with subversion

Posted by Les Mikesell <le...@gmail.com>.
On 7/14/2010 2:33 PM, Thomas Garrod wrote:

> My command client is Path Finder is set to "Macintosh: MyTaxes09
> TommyHome$" This is wrong, but I don't know how to change the
> directory. All tips accepted, except "get a brain" (I tried that).
>
> When I typed 'svnadmin create /ver/svn/newrepos' I got the following
> response:
>
> svnadmin: Repository creation failed
> svnadmin: Could not create top-level directory

This isn't a subversion issue.  The /var/svn directory probably doesn't
exist or you don't have write access there at your operating system level.

> svnadmin: Can't create directory '/var/svn/newrepos': No such file or
> directory
> Macintosh:GraphicArt TommyHome$
>
> If someone would simple pretend that I am a 2-year old and tell me how
> to add files to the repository, I would be eternally grateful (or at
> least for a long time).

Start by creating the repository somewhere that you have write
permission. Macs go very far out of their way to keep you from learning
simple things like that, but it's not impossible.  If you want to follow
your book literally, you might, as the system administrator, create the
/var/svn directory, and give ownership to yourself.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell@gmail.com

Re: Getting started with subversion

Posted by David Bartmess <di...@edingo.net>.
On 7/14/2010 1:33 PM, Thomas Garrod wrote:
> I'm sorry guys (and gals), I have a very basic question: How to you
> get files into your repository. I've got the O'Reilly book (2nd
> Edition), but I'm afraid is presumes too much of me.
>
> I looked at chapter 2, page 18, and it includes the following:
>
> ...typically use this when you have an existing tree of files that you
> want to begin tracking in your Subversion repository. For example:
>
> $ svnadmin create /ver/svn/newrepos
> $ svn import mytree file:///var/svn/newrepos/some/project \
>
> For the first line: what part of this is variable?
> For the second line: how do I know what to enter for "var/svn?newreos/
> some/project?"
>
> The path to my files on my computer is Macintosh HD/Users/TommyHome/
> KeelWorks/Projects/GraphicArt.
>
> My command client is Path Finder is set to "Macintosh: MyTaxes09
> TommyHome$" This is wrong, but I don't know how to change the
> directory. All tips accepted, except "get a brain" (I tried that).
>
> When I typed 'svnadmin create /ver/svn/newrepos' I got the following
> response:
>
> svnadmin: Repository creation failed
> svnadmin: Could not create top-level directory
> svnadmin: Can't create directory '/var/svn/newrepos': No such file or
> directory
> Macintosh:GraphicArt TommyHome$
Does the /var/svn directory exist? It doesn't create the entire path if
it doesn't exist...

--
"Dingo" Dave Bartmess
Broomfield, CO. USA

Re: Getting started with subversion

Posted by Nick Stolwijk <ni...@gmail.com>.
Maybe this sounds harsh, but try to learn something about the
filesystem you are using. If the path "/var/svn/newrepos" can not be
found on your filesystem, Subversion can't use it. Take a look at this
tutorial [1]. It explains how you can create a repository in your home
directory.

[1] http://www.rubyrobot.org/tutorial/subversion-with-mac-os-x

Hth,

Nick Stolwijk
~Java Developer~

IPROFS BV.
Claus Sluterweg 125
2012 WS Haarlem
http://www.iprofs.nl

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Weintraub <qa...@gmail.com>.
If you're a developer, you should be use to the command line
operations. This would be true for Windows systems as well as for Unix
and Macs.

The Subversion book from O'Reilly is the "free" book and is not up to
date. However, the Unix book for Mac OS X Panther is fairly up to date
and is a good intro to Unix on your Mac. If you're doing development,
you really need to be familiar with the command line and learning
about VI/VIM is a good thing to know. (Or EMACS if you're so inclined.
The Mac contains both of these tools). VI/VIM and EMACS are program
editors that work directly from a terminal window.

--
David Weintraub
qazwart@gmail.com

Re: Getting started with subversion

Posted by Nico Kadel-Garcia <nk...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Thomas Garrod <wh...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Bob. I looked at the free book, but it looks word-for-word the same,
Getting New Data into Your Repository is exactly the same. Can you point me
to the right place?

I thought perhaps the information under Initial Check Out would set up an
initial file structure.

I tried:
Macintosh:GraphicArt TommyHome$  svn checkout
https://ksfgraphics.goolecode.com/svn/trunk/ kwfgraphics --username
whidbeytomas

---and got this:
svn: OPTIONS of 'https://ksfgraphics.goolecode.com/svn/trunk': Could not
resolve hostname `ksfgraphics.goolecode.com': Host not found (
https://ksfgraphics.goolecode.com)

I tried this again appending "--password *mypassword" *to the end, that got
me 'path not found'

I tried:
Macintosh:GraphicArt TommyHome$ *svnadmin create /var/svn/newrepos*
*
*
---and got:
svnadmin: Repository creation failed
svnadmin: Could not create top-level directory
svnadmin: Can't create directory '/var/svn/newrepos': No such file or
directory

Surely someone has been here before?! You can't all start with a repository?
Can someone tell me which section of the free manual addresses my situation?
or give me explicit instructions? If I can get this down, I will be training
a host of interns to use this system. They are waiting for me.

Tomas

You might want to read the free book... it seems to me it explains it well

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn-book.html

Posted by Bob Archer <Bo...@amsi.com>.

Posted by Giulio Troccoli <Gi...@uk.linedata.com>.
> > I think this should be
> >
> > $ svn checkout file:///$HOME/svn_repos/newrepo
>
> Except that now your working copy will get created with the
> name "newrepo" which is weird since it's not a repo, it's a
> working copy. So from the original example,
>
> $ svn checkout file://$HOME/svn_repos/newrepo svn_project
>
> would be clearer.

Sorry, my mistake. I was focusing on the $HOME bit and I forgot the svn_project. You're absolutely right

Linedata Limited
Registered Office: 85 Gracechurch St., London, EC3V 0AA
Registered in England and Wales No 3475006 VAT Reg No 710 3140 03

RE: Getting started with subversion

Posted by Giulio Troccoli <Gi...@uk.linedata.com>.

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Jul 15, 2010, at 02:35, Giulio Troccoli wrote:

>> Okay, with those preliminaries out of the way, open the
>> Terminal and do the following. The "$" will represent your
>> command prompt. This can be changed, so in Unix, it is common
>> just to put "$":
>>
>> $ cd $HOME
>> $ svn mkdir svn_repos
>> $ cd mkdir svn_repos
>> $ svnadmin create newrepo
>>
>> This will create a Subversion repository at
>> /Users/TommyHome/svn_repos called "newrepo". You can find
>> this in Pathfinder. Now, you will want to create a working directory:
>>
>> $ cd $HOME
>> $ svn checkout file://$PWD/svn_repos/newrepo svn_project
>
> I think this should be
>
> $ svn checkout file:///$HOME/svn_repos/newrepo

Except that now your working copy will get created with the name "newrepo" which is weird since it's not a repo, it's a working copy. So from the original example,

$ svn checkout file://$HOME/svn_repos/newrepo svn_project

would be clearer.

> I know that with the cd command before, $PWD and $HOME are the same, but it's safer to use $HOME, as it will always point to the correct location.

Six of one, half a dozen of the other, if you know what you're doing.

> Also, notice the three /. According to the book you should either have file://localhost/$HOME... Or file:///$HOME... However I tried on a RHEL and file://$HOME works too

$HOME begins with a slash, hence file://$HOME/... is correct.

Re: Getting started with subversion

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.

Posted by Giulio Troccoli <Gi...@uk.linedata.com>.

> Okay, with those preliminaries out of the way, open the
> Terminal and do the following. The "$" will represent your
> command prompt. This can be changed, so in Unix, it is common
> just to put "$":
>
> $ cd $HOME
> $ svn mkdir svn_repos
> $ cd mkdir svn_repos
> $ svnadmin create newrepo
>
> This will create a Subversion repository at
> /Users/TommyHome/svn_repos called "newrepo". You can find
> this in Pathfinder. Now, you will want to create a working directory:
>
> $ cd $HOME
> $ svn checkout file://$PWD/svn_repos/newrepo svn_project

I think this should be

$ svn checkout file:///$HOME/svn_repos/newrepo

I know that with the cd command before, $PWD and $HOME are the same, but it's safer to use $HOME, as it will always point to the correct location. Also, notice the three /. According to the book you should either have file://localhost/$HOME... Or file:///$HOME... However I tried on a RHEL and file://$HOME works too

Giulio

Posted by David Weintraub <qa...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 5:16 AM, Cooke, Mark <ma...@siemens.com> wrote:
>> $ svn mkdir svn_repos
>
> Why "svn mkdir" and not just "mkdir" ~ this is to create a new repo not
> to add a directory to a repo?

That's what I get when I answer emails past midnight after I fell
asleep on the couch.

--
David Weintraub
qazwart@gmail.com

Re: Getting started with subversion

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Jul 15, 2010, at 04:16, Cooke, Mark wrote:

>> $ cd $HOME
>
> OK, go to known location
>
>> $ svn mkdir svn_repos
>
> Why "svn mkdir" and not just "mkdir" ~ this is to create a new repo not
> to add a directory to a repo?

That appears to have been a typo, you're right, it should just be "mkdir svn_repos".

>> $ cd mkdir svn_repos
>
> Should this not fail because 'mkdir' does not exist?

That appears to have been another typo; it should just be "cd svn_repos".

Posted by "Cooke, Mark" <ma...@siemens.com>.
Hi List,

First, thanks to David for an excellent explanation.  However, I am
confused a little by the sequence of commands suggested...

> ========================
>
> Okay, with those preliminaries out of the way, open the Terminal and
> do the following. The "$" will represent your command prompt. This can
> be changed, so in Unix, it is common just to put "$":
>
> $ cd $HOME
> $ svn mkdir svn_repos
> $ cd mkdir svn_repos
> $ svnadmin create newrepo
>
> This will create a Subversion repository at /Users/TommyHome/svn_repos
> called "newrepo". You can find this in Pathfinder. Now, you will want
> to create a working directory:
>
> $ cd $HOME
> $ svn checkout file://$PWD/svn_repos/newrepo svn_project
>
> This will allow you to checkout an EMPTY repository in Subversion in a
> directory under your $HOME directory called "svn_project". When you
> open a new Pathfinder window, you should see this directory.

If we want to create a new home for repositories to start with, then is
that right?

> $ cd $HOME

OK, go to known location

> $ svn mkdir svn_repos

Why "svn mkdir" and not just "mkdir" ~ this is to create a new repo not
to add a directory to a repo?

> $ cd mkdir svn_repos

Should this not fail because 'mkdir' does not exist?

> $ svnadmin create newrepo

...should create the new repository which can then be accessed as
file://$PWD/svn_repos/newrepo ok.

Sorry if I am just confused about the way macs work or something...

~ mark c

RE: Getting started with subversion

Posted by Giulio Troccoli <Gi...@uk.linedata.com>.

Posted by Bob Archer <Bo...@amsi.com>.
> On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 12:29, Bob Archer <Bo...@amsi.com>
> wrote:
> >> Let's get through this one step at a time:
> >>
> >> First of all, if you are trying to use Subversion just to
> version
> >> your
> >> own designs and files, you are probably better off with
> >> TimeMachine.
> >> It versions your files and is very simple to use. All you need
> is a
> >> $100 USB hard drive to connect to your Mac. Remember that it
> isn't
> >> if
> >> your hard drive will fail, it is when, so the $100 investment is
> >> your
> >> guarantee that you won't lose your valuable work.
> >
> > Just to clarify, TimeMachine doesn't really version your file. It
> does a back up every hour of any files that have changed. So, if
> you change the file 4 times in one hour you can't go back to "any"
> of those revisions... just the last one TM backed up each hour.
> >

> Also, at the end of each week (I think - it kind of depends on how
> much space you have. Regardless, it's some set time period), those
> hourlies get deleted and you only have a snapshot of the end of
> each
> day. Then just the end of each week. And when you're out of space
> entirely, the weeklies start getting deleted, oldest first. You do
> not
> have an eternal, complete history of each file with TM.

Yes, to be fully technical it does an hourly, daily, weekly, monthly. It deletes oldest data first if it runs out of room. It uses links to good effect. From a MacWorld article:

"Time Machine keeps all of the day's backups for 24 hours, but then it begins to delete older versions to save space. You can count on it to keep the first backup of any given day for an entire month. Even after a month, it preserves the first backup of each week until your disk is nearly full. Only at that point does the program begin purging files from your oldest weekly backups. The net result is that you see your files as they appeared at many points in the past, though not all points in the past."

My point was that is doesn't version/backup each change. So, that shouldn't be expectecd.

> That said, I think TM is a great backup system for the average
> user;
> it's saved me a couple times, and I really wish there was something
> comparable for my XP system I have to use for work.

I think something like this comes as a client to Windows home server although it is a daily backup and I'm not sure if you can go back in time. I'm sure there are 3rd party backup systems that work like TimeMachine for Windows. If not, maybe I will write one using svn 1.7 source code as a base, sell it an become filthy rich!

BOb

Re: Getting started with subversion

Posted by Les Mikesell <le...@gmail.com>.
On 7/15/2010 11:42 AM, Andy Levy wrote:

>> Just to clarify, TimeMachine doesn't really version your file. It does a back up every hour of any files that have changed. So, if you change the file 4 times in one hour you can't go back to "any" of those revisions... just the last one TM backed up each hour.
>>

> Also, at the end of each week (I think - it kind of depends on how
> much space you have. Regardless, it's some set time period), those
> hourlies get deleted and you only have a snapshot of the end of each
> day. Then just the end of each week. And when you're out of space
> entirely, the weeklies start getting deleted, oldest first. You do not
> have an eternal, complete history of each file with TM.
>
> That said, I think TM is a great backup system for the average user;
> it's saved me a couple times, and I really wish there was something
> comparable for my XP system I have to use for work.

Kind of off-topic for this list unless you are just using subversion for
backups, but backuppc (http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/)is a good
solution if you can put it on a central Linux server (with
linux/windows/mac targets).  It uses pooling and compression to keep
more history than you'd expect on line and available through a web
interface.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell@gmail.com

Re: Getting started with subversion

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bob Archer <Bo...@amsi.com>.
> Let's get through this one step at a time:
>
> First of all, if you are trying to use Subversion just to version
> your
> own designs and files, you are probably better off with
> TimeMachine.
> It versions your files and is very simple to use. All you need is a
> $100 USB hard drive to connect to your Mac. Remember that it isn't
> if
> your hard drive will fail, it is when, so the $100 investment is
> your
> guarantee that you won't lose your valuable work.

Just to clarify, TimeMachine doesn't really version your file. It does a back up every hour of any files that have changed. So, if you change the file 4 times in one hour you can't go back to "any" of those revisions... just the last one TM backed up each hour.

> You can also use Dropbox (http://dropbox.com) which is free for 2Gb
> of
> space (which is quite a bit more than you realize). Dropbox
> versions
> your files, and has some great collaboration features that allow to
> share files with other users.

Now this is true. They save revisions for 30 days. If you have a pro-account you can add Pack-Rat for $40 a year and they will save all revisions forever.

from the dropbox help:

"Dropbox saves a history of all deleted and previous versions of files for 30 days for all Dropbox accounts by default. If you have the Pack-Rat add-on, Dropbox saves those files for as long as you have the Pack-Rat add-on. With Pack-Rat, you never have to worry about losing an old version of a file."

BOb

Re: Getting started with subversion

Posted by David Weintraub <qa...@gmail.com>.
Let's get through this one step at a time:

First of all, if you are trying to use Subversion just to version your
own designs and files, you are probably better off with TimeMachine.
It versions your files and is very simple to use. All you need is a
$100 USB hard drive to connect to your Mac. Remember that it isn't if
your hard drive will fail, it is when, so the $100 investment is your
guarantee that you won't lose your valuable work.

You can also use Dropbox (http://dropbox.com) which is free for 2Gb of
space (which is quite a bit more than you realize). Dropbox versions
your files, and has some great collaboration features that allow to
share files with other users.

If you are doing development and need to use Subversion, I suggest you
get a book about Unix (Mac OS X is a type of Unix on the command line
level). For now, here are some important things to know:

1). "$HOME" represents your "Home" directory. For you, this is
"/Users/TommyHome". Knowing this can save you a lot of typing trouble.

2). "ls" is the command to list things on your Mac. By default, it
lists all the files and directories in the current directory. Typing
"ls -l" gives you a long listing.

3). "cd" changes your directory. You can give it a "relative path"
(i.e. the path from the current directory) or an absolute path (i.e.,
the path from the "root" file system).

4). "/" represents the root file system. If you type in the command
"cd /", it will go to the "root" directory. Typing "ls" will list all
of the directories and one will be called "Users". Typing "cd Users"
from the root directory will change into the Users directory. If you
do an "ls" there, you will see a directory "TommyHome". If you type in
"cd $HOME", you will go to your home directory no matter what
directory you are in the computer at the command prompt.

5). One more nice command is the "PWD" command. This will print our
your current directory. Also, "$PWD" (with a dollar sign) represents
the current directory. (If you have the default BASH Unix shell set).

========================

Okay, with those preliminaries out of the way, open the Terminal and
do the following. The "$" will represent your command prompt. This can
be changed, so in Unix, it is common just to put "$":

$ cd $HOME
$ svn mkdir svn_repos
$ cd mkdir svn_repos
$ svnadmin create newrepo

This will create a Subversion repository at /Users/TommyHome/svn_repos
called "newrepo". You can find this in Pathfinder. Now, you will want
to create a working directory:

$ cd $HOME
$ svn checkout file://$PWD/svn_repos/newrepo svn_project

This will allow you to checkout an EMPTY repository in Subversion in a
directory under your $HOME directory called "svn_project". When you
open a new Pathfinder window, you should see this directory.

If you're a developer, I highly suggest you get the book "Learning
Unix for Mac OS X" from O'Reilly and Associates
(http://oreil.ly/buTnGv) and Learning the VI and VIM Editors from
O'Reilly (http://oreil.ly/au5Srf). The Mac is a powerful development
platform, and unlike Windows, comes free with almost all development
tools.

--
David Weintraub
qazwart@gmail.com