Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by maria petrova <mi...@googlemail.com> on 2012/06/01 10:55:52 UTC

Re: Why @WebServlet annotation is not processed when web.xml is version 2.5?

Hi,

As the Servlet 3.0 expert group shed some
light<http://java.net/projects/servlet-spec/lists/users/archive/2012-05/message/1>upon
this question I would like to raise it here again.

So do you plan revising the current processing of annotations (based on the
web.xml version) as it contradicts the clarification from the expert group
saying:

*“If you are using a Java EE 6 compatible implementation and use the
Servlet 3.0 feature / annotation, it should work independent of the
version of the descriptor.”*

May be the default behavior should be preserved and only *org.apache.catalina.
STRICT_SERVLET_COMPLIANCE* should be extended with an additional property
that controls the questioned handling?

What do you think?

Thanks and Regards,

Maria

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 01/06/2012 09:55, maria petrova wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As the Servlet 3.0 expert group shed some
> light<http://java.net/projects/servlet-spec/lists/users/archive/2012-05/message/1>upon
> this question I would like to raise it here again.
>
> So do you plan revising the current processing of annotations (based on the
> web.xml version) as it contradicts the clarification from the expert group
> saying:
>
> *“If you are using a Java EE 6 compatible implementation and use the
> Servlet 3.0 feature / annotation, it should work independent of the
> version of the descriptor.”*
>
> May be the default behavior should be preserved and only *org.apache.catalina.
> STRICT_SERVLET_COMPLIANCE* should be extended with an additional property
> that controls the questioned handling?
>
> What do you think?

I think that while the intent of the 3.0 EG is clear, the current EG has
identified several issues with the current approach and the discussion
on those has yet to conclude. I'd rather wait to see the final
conclusion before making any changes.

Mark