Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Eric Bresie <eb...@gmail.com> on 2022/04/10 15:58:07 UTC

[PHP Testing] Re: The new guy reporting for duty

On Mon, Mar 28, 2022 at 7:40 PM Michael Bien <mb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> btw if you are looking for something you can do which is also related to
> tests:
>
> If you take a look at a test run of the PHP cluster you will notice that
> one test step is not quite like the others:
> https://github.com/apache/netbeans/runs/5688117534?check_suite_focus=true
>
> ant -f php/php.editor test
>
> takes ~2h to run. That is simply too long for a single unit of work on a
> CI server. It would be great if we could split this into at least two
> batches of tests so we can run them in parallel on the CI server.
> Ideally, one batch of quick validation tests, and then the rest split
> into two other batches.
>
> I haven't looked at the above mentioned tests at all, maybe you can also
> find a different way how to speed them up - I don't know.

This is from memory from when I was checking on long php testing so
hopefully not off too much but...

The php test suite has good test coverage which includes a number of "big
file" test cases which involve requests and responses with "big file".
Assume this is some form of "stress testing" .  Further if I remember
correctly, there may seem to be multiple instances/variations of the "big
file" test cases (some of which may be platform specific (i.e. linux,
Windows, etc.) cases).

Would reducing the number of "big file" test cases could help some here?
Or break out "performance" testing into a whole separate job elsewhere?

Some aspects of this were discussed (and I suspect have been implemented
some since) previously (1) and more recently (2)

Eric Bresie
ebresie@gmail.com
(1) https://www.mail-archive.com/dev@netbeans.apache.org/msg08169.html
(2) https://lists.apache.org/thread/6qwd70z06o8q5wg4s3h8w6j7vgtklnlh