Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by TomohitoNakayama <to...@basil.ocn.ne.jp> on 2005/10/12 14:28:09 UTC

Proposal about creating shared component (Re: Questions about what is module to be shared (Re: Discussions on Wik ... ))

Hello.

I have suspect on next two items.

* '''DRDA networking''' -- providing shared code     <snip>   message semantics, datatypes, etc.
    Because of synmetry between server and client, some part of networking protocol component would be similar implementation
between server and client .
    However, I think it can be somekind of trap because there would exists difference of processing between server and client .

* '''Security''' -- provides pluggable security infrastructure that  is common across client and server
    I'm not sure required security is same between server and client.

Well, all they are just suspect , and not anymore than suspect now .
I can't assert that they are evil, unless they are explained more concretely.
// To say the trugh, I feel some kind of beauty in sharing code in DRDA because of synmetry between server and client , even !

Writing this mail, I noticed that what my concern is the impact and danger of shared component .
I think shared code can become trap very easily,
because shared component can share , not only something which should be shared , but also something which should not be shared ,
between programs.
I feel danger about such a bunch of code being created with silence.

Then, I propose next :
    It is subject of voting to create new shared component .  New shared component require passing the vote .

Best regards.

/*

         Tomohito Nakayama
         tomonaka@basil.ocn.ne.jp
         tomohito@rose.zero.ad.jp
         tmnk@apache.org

         Naka

*/
Posted by "David W. Van Couvering" <Da...@Sun.COM>.
Hi, Tomohito.  I understand your concerns about sharing code.  I think
we all agree there are many advantages in sharing code (I have seen this
many times), but I can also see that it can lead you into traps if you
are not careful.

I agree with you that any new shared component should be put up for a
vote.  I can add this to the shared component guidelines page.

With this in place, are you satisfied with the guidelines we have in
place so far?

Thanks,

David

Posted by TomohitoNakayama <to...@basil.ocn.ne.jp>.
Hello Francois.

I think it is better if your comment was summarized at
http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/Security_encryption/decryption_of_network_traffic,_passwords,_etc%2e
//Maybe the title should be changed .....

It will help someone who vote to consider about your new shared component .
//Even though voting were not be held, it will be a good writing for the component .

Best regards .

/*

         Tomohito Nakayama
         tomonaka@basil.ocn.ne.jp
         tomohito@rose.zero.ad.jp
         tmnk@apache.org

         Naka

*/

Posted by Francois Orsini <fr...@gmail.com>.
On 10/12/05, TomohitoNakayama <to...@basil.ocn.ne.jp> wrote:

> Hello.
>

> I have suspect on next two items.
>
> * '''DRDA networking''' -- providing shared code <snip> message semantics,
> datatypes, etc.
> Because of synmetry between server and client, some part of networking
> protocol component would be similar implementation
> between server and client .
> However, I think it can be somekind of trap because there would exists
> difference of processing between server and client .
>
> * '''Security''' -- provides pluggable security infrastructure that is
> common across client and server
> I'm not sure required security is same between server and client.
>
> Well, all they are just suspect , and not anymore than suspect now .
> I can't assert that they are evil, unless they are explained more
> concretely.
> // To say the trugh, I feel some kind of beauty in sharing code in DRDA
> because of synmetry between server and client , even !
>

> Writing this mail, I noticed that what my concern is the impact and danger
> of shared component .
> I think shared code can become trap very easily,
> because shared component can share , not only something which should be
> shared , but also something which should not be shared ,
> between programs.
> I feel danger about such a bunch of code being created with silence.
>
> Then, I propose next :
> It is subject of voting to create new shared component . New shared
> component require passing the vote .
>

> Best regards.
>

> /*
>
> Tomohito Nakayama
> tomonaka@basil.ocn.ne.jp
> tomohito@rose.zero.ad.jp
> tmnk@apache.org
>
> Naka
> http://www5.ocn.ne.jp/~tomohito/TopPage.html
>
> */

Tomohito,

Pluggable Security Infrastructure is *not* what shared component is bringing
to the table - This is definitely a term which can lead to confusion to the
notion of shared security component - Pluggable Security Infrastructure is
an (infrastructure) implementation and is not directly linked to the way
security logic is shared across the client and the server. This should not
be mentioned as part of Shared component discussion - not saying you did ;)

Again, there is logic which involves the use of security algorithms which is
shared across the client and the server - For instance,
encrypting/decrypting ciphered bytes can and will make use of similar if not
identical code/logic from *both* the client and a remote Derby engine - to
give you an example, some of this logic right now has code *duplicated* in
different packages - this is not what we want and we want to share such
logic which is being used by the client and the server - Again, this is one
particular example - Other ones for instance we particular and computed
hashed bytes logic which would have the implementation logic being shared by
the client and the Derby engine - this needs to be shared as well...

In respect with JDBC, I could also see logic being shared by the client and
Derby engine (logical) tiers at the higher levels, especially in the area of
ResultSetMetadata as well as DatabaseMetaData.

--francois

Posted by "David W. Van Couvering" <Da...@Sun.COM>.
Weird Freudian slip.  I meant "up to a vote" not "up to avoid."  Sorry...

Posted by "David W. Van Couvering" <Da...@Sun.COM>.

Posted by "David W. Van Couvering" <Da...@Sun.COM>.
OK, I'll clarify this on the Wiki page.

David

Posted by TomohitoNakayama <to...@basil.ocn.ne.jp>.
Hello.

Posted by Kathey Marsden <km...@sbcglobal.net>.
David W. Van Couvering wrote:

> Hi, Kathey.  I have seen in the code and from various emails the
> concern of "client bloat."  I don't have the background so I'm sure
> I'm missing something.
>
> I can understand wanting to keep the code base small for J2ME, but my
> understanding is that doesn't involve client/server.  What's the need
> to keep the client small since it won't be found in J2ME environments?

Hopefully it will be found in J2ME environments someday,  as soon as
someone does the work to make it so.  I think it especially important
for client. Wouldn't it make sense to have a lot of clients on small
devices?  Small footprint is also part of our charter
http://db.apache.org/derby/#Derby+Project+Charter  so is important.  On
this whole topic my three concerns are as they have been from the start.

- We need to allow mixing of client and server versions, both on a
protocol level and in the same classpath.
- We should keep jar file growth commensurate with functionality
improvement.
- We should try to avoid asking every user in the world to change their
classpath.

Kathey

Posted by "David W. Van Couvering" <Da...@Sun.COM>.

Posted by Kathey Marsden <km...@sbcglobal.net>.