Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Udaya Lakshmi <ud...@gmail.com> on 2010/01/20 17:17:54 UTC

Google has obtained the patent over mapreduce

Hi,
   As an user of hadoop, Is there anything to worry about Google obtaining
the patent over mapreduce?

Thanks.

Re: Google has obtained the patent over mapreduce

Posted by BM <bo...@gmail.com>.
Folks.

You still breaking all the damn patents, when you're develop your
software with a progress-bar or popup windows or clicking buttons or
some sort of a window manager.

Mainly this patent is for well known Homer Simpson lookalike
(http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Steve_Ballmer) that basically says
the message: "If you're gonna throw a chair at me in order to f*ing
kill me, I will f*ing kill you in prior to that":
http://battellemedia.com/archives/001835.php

That's it.

--
Bo

--
Kind regards, BM

Things, that are stupid at the beginning, rarely ends up wisely.

Re: Google has obtained the patent over mapreduce

Posted by Bill Graham <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Colin Freas <co...@gmail.com>.
[...]

acquire this patent before that ruling, since it would give them standing to

Posted by brien colwell <xc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by BM <bo...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 7:29 PM, Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org> wrote:
> SCO sued people who had bought Unix source code licenses and threatened
> end-users of linux over copyright. No patent lawsuits, just doomed copyright
> T&Cs.

Yes, and Oracle was the very first company that said "Screw you, SCO:
prove or shut up". The only stupid end-users started to purchase silly
copies. I'd say, SCO should be sued for this, because basically they
said for that Linux is stolen from them and is illegal, while it is
not true at all.

So I don't see the point here about Map Reduce... :-)

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.
Edward Capriolo wrote:
> I was just mentioning that in the sco linux suit , comanies that were
> using linux as a fileserver or ftp server were targeted, not only
> companies that developed packaged linux.
>
> Relying on a corporation to be  benevolant, is a risk in itself. A
> change in management could cause a change in policy.
>
> a decision maker might avoid hadoop as it is more risky to deploy now.
> In particular if that company was in some way competitive to google.

SCO sued people who had bought Unix source code licenses and threatened
end-users of linux over copyright. No patent lawsuits, just doomed
copyright T&Cs.

Generally those companies that want to work with open source don't waste
time trying to enforce patents because its a losing battle. You lose a
lot of goodwill, and when you consider that the Android stack is built
on truckloads of Apache and other open source java code, the loss of
that goodwill can be quite significant. Add in that Google is a platinum
sponsor of apache, and you can see the conflicts of interest that will
develop.

I have no idea what they will do with the MR patent, but note that the
ASF license says "Sue someone over some apache code you have a patent
for and you lose the right to use that apache code yourself". While
Google don't use Hadoop internally, they have been using it for their
academic testbed.

Finally, I don't think the patent applies outside the US, and if they
published before filing, its harder to get an EU/UK patent. So host your
code here in europe and not only are you free from this patent concern,
your customers benefit from your requirement to follow EU data
protection laws. Everyone wins.

-Steve

Re: Google has obtained the patent over mapreduce

Posted by Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com>.
I was just mentioning that in the sco linux suit , comanies that were
using linux as a fileserver or ftp server were targeted, not only
companies that developed packaged linux.

Relying on a corporation to be  benevolant, is a risk in itself. A
change in management could cause a change in policy.

a decision maker might avoid hadoop as it is more risky to deploy now.
In particular if that company was in some way competitive to google.

I imagine google will make some comment.

Posted by Bill Habermaas <bi...@habermaas.us>.
It is likely that Google filed the patent as a matter of record for their own protection - to make sure someone else could not do the same and put them at risk for a patent violation suit.

Bill

Just want to ask, how about AWS? Many services/programms runing on AWS are
based on M/R mechanism.
Does this mean, they owners of these softeware may be targeted in law, How
about Amazon itself?

Song

Posted by 松柳 <la...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ravi <ra...@gmail.com>.