Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Dikang Gu <di...@gmail.com> on 2018/03/05 18:26:00 UTC

Rocksandra blog post

As some of you already know, Instagram Cassandra team is working on the
project to use RocksDB as Cassandra's storage engine.

Today, we just published a blog post about the work we have done, and more
excitingly, we published the benchmark metrics in AWS environment.

Check it out here:
https://engineering.instagram.com/open-sourcing-a-10x-reduction-in-apache-cassandra-tail-latency-d64f86b43589

Thanks
Dikang

Re: Rocksandra blog post

Posted by Dikang Gu <di...@gmail.com>.
Thanks everyone!

@Kyrylo, In Rocksandra world, the storage engine is built on top of
RocksDB, which is another LSM tree based storage engine. So the immutable
sstables and compactions are managed by RocksDB instances. RocksDB supports
different compaction strategies, similar to STCS and LCS. The compactions
are managed by C++, so it will not generate any pressure to JVM.

@Romain, Thanks, and Rocksandra is not limited to only support key/value
data model. We support most of the data types and table data model in
Cassandra.

Dikang.

On Tue, Mar 6, 2018 at 1:48 AM, Romain Hardouin <romainh_ml@yahoo.fr.invalid

--
Dikang

Re: Rocksandra blog post

Posted by Carl Mueller <ca...@smartthings.com>.
Basically they are avoiding gc, right? Not necessarily improving on the
theoreticals of sstables and LSM trees.

Why didn't they use/try scylla? I'd be interested to see that benchmark.

On Tue, Mar 6, 2018 at 3:48 AM, Romain Hardouin <romainh_ml@yahoo.fr.invalid

Re: Rocksandra blog post

Posted by Romain Hardouin <ro...@yahoo.fr.INVALID>.
 Rocksandra is very interesting for key/value data model. Let's hope it will land in C* upstream in the near future thanks to pluggable storage.Thanks Dikang!

 #yiv7016643451 #yiv7016643451 -- P {margin-top:0;margin-bottom:0;}#yiv7016643451

Re: Rocksandra blog post

Posted by Kyrylo Lebediev <Ky...@epam.com>.
Thanks for sharing, Dikang!