Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by David Thielen <da...@thielen.com> on 2002/06/27 18:21:13 UTC

Tomcat classpath?

Hi;

Where do I place jar files or where in the tomcat configuration do I tell it of a jar file to use with my jsp?

Also, can I just do .class files in a directory or must it be a jar file? (And if so, how do I set that?)

thanks - dave

Re: Tomcat classpath?

Posted by Milt Epstein <me...@uiuc.edu>.
On Thu, 27 Jun 2002, David Thielen wrote:

> I'm sticking with this example as it "should" work.
>
> The url I put in is localhost/apps.10.jsp.

I assume you mean localhost/apps/10.jsp.

> Here is a dir (screen dump) of the file:
>  Directory of C:\Program Files\Apache Tomcat 4.0\webapps\apps
>
> 02/16/2002  03:50p                 727 10.jsp
>
> So the file is there.
>
> The error I get is:
> C:\Program Files\Apache Tomcat
> 4.0\work\Standalone\localhost\apps\$10$jsp.java:3: Class net.windward.Cart
> not found in import.
> import net.windward.Cart;
>        ^
> 1 error, 1 warning

FWIW, this is an error that has to do with compiling the JSP, not
executing it.  I'm not sure whether how Tomcat finds the class when
compiling is any different from how it finds it for executing.  I'd
think it wouldn't be, but I'm not sure.

Not sure I have any other suggestions to look into at this point.  It
looks like everything is in the right place.  Maybe it's the usual
missing something obvious problem.

> Here is the dir (screen dump) of the file Cart.class
>  Directory of C:\Program Files\Apache Tomcat
> 4.0\webapps\apps\WEB-INF\classes\ne
> t\windward
>
> 12/29/2001  01:11p              18,392 Cart.class
> 12/29/2001  01:10p              24,099 Cart.java
>
> So any idea why it can't find it? I looked in the log files but couldn't
> find any that listed a directory it was looking in.
>
> thanks - dave

Milt Epstein
Research Programmer
Systems and Technology Services (STS)
mepstein@uiuc.edu

Re: Tomcat classpath?

Posted by David Thielen <da...@thielen.com>.

Re: Tomcat classpath?

Posted by Milt Epstein <me...@uiuc.edu>.
On Thu, 27 Jun 2002, David Thielen wrote:

> I tried CATALINA_HOME\webapps\ROOT\WEB-INF\classes\net\windward\*.class (my
> package is net.windward)
> I tried CATALINA_HOME\webapps\WEB-INF\classes\net\windward\*.class
> I tried CATALINA_HOME\webapps\_\WEB-INF\classes\net\windward\*.class

Did you try using the Context you have in the previous message, i.e.

  <Context path="/" docBase="c:\Inetpub\wwwroot" debug="0"
    privileged="true"/>

*and*

putting all the WEB-INF stuff below c:\Inetpub\wwwroot?

Also, I wonder if the above context path should be "", that's what
Tomcat 4.0.X has in the server.xml it comes with to point to ROOT.

Re: Tomcat classpath?

Posted by David Thielen <da...@thielen.com>.
I tried CATALINA_HOME\webapps\ROOT\WEB-INF\classes\net\windward\*.class (my
package is net.windward)
I tried CATALINA_HOME\webapps\WEB-INF\classes\net\windward\*.class
I tried CATALINA_HOME\webapps\_\WEB-INF\classes\net\windward\*.class

I also added:
  <Context path="/apps" docBase="apps" debug="0" privileged="true" />

And then created
CATALINA_HOME\webapps\apps\*.jsp
and
CATALINA_HOME\webapps\apps\WEB-INF\classes\net\windward\*.class

In all these cases I can get ot the .jsp file but the jsp file cannot find
the java .class files.

I am doing no web.xml file because I have no servlets or anything else like
that. Just jsp files and classes for them to access.

????? - thanks - dave

<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>
<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>

Re: Tomcat classpath?