Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Brooks Davis <br...@softcomcorp.com> on 2006/02/23 17:11:14 UTC

Keywords in source files

We would like to place CVS-like keywords like $author and $version in
our source files so that Subversion inserts the corresponding
information into our source files, e.g. "$author: bdavis". Can this be
done, or is there another way to accomplish the same result? I'm sorry,
but it is not clear to me from the documentation.

Regards,
Brooks Davis
Softcom Corporation
Toronto, ON, Canada
brooks.davis@softcomcorp.com

Re: Keywords in source files

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Feb 23, 2006, at 18:11, Brooks Davis wrote:

> We would like to place CVS-like keywords like $author and $version
> in our source files so that Subversion inserts the corresponding
> information into our source files, e.g. “$author: bdavis”. Can this
> be done, or is there another way to accomplish the same result? I’m
> sorry, but it is not clear to me from the documentation.

Yes, Subversion supports keywords. Read about keywords:

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.1/ch07s02.html#svn-ch-7-sect-2.3.4

And autoprops:

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.1/ch07s02.html#svn-ch-7-sect-2.4

Re: Keywords in source files

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.
On 2/23/06, Brooks Davis <br...@softcomcorp.com> wrote:
> We would like to place CVS-like keywords like $author and $version in our
> source files so that Subversion inserts the corresponding information into
> our source files, e.g. "$author: bdavis". Can this be done, or is there
> another way to accomplish the same result? I'm sorry, but it is not clear to
> me from the documentation.

Sorry, should have replied to all.

Set the svn:keywords property.
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.0/ch07s02.html#svn-ch-7-sect-2.3.4
http://subversion.tigris.org/faq.html#auto-props

Re: Keywords in source files

Posted by kf...@collab.net.
"Brooks Davis" <br...@softcomcorp.com> writes:
> We would like to place CVS-like keywords like $author and $version in
> our source files so that Subversion inserts the corresponding
> information into our source files, e.g. "$author: bdavis". Can this be
> done, or is there another way to accomplish the same result? I'm sorry,
> but it is not clear to me from the documentation.

The answers to many common questions can be found in the book:

   http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.1/ch07s02.html#svn-ch-7-sect-2.3.4

Best,
-Karl

--