Posted to dev@ws.apache.org by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com> on 2011/02/14 13:28:04 UTC

[VOTE] Release XmlSchema 2.0

https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachews-001/

The above URL is a staging repository for the proposed 2.0 release of
XML schema.

This release is a significant housecleaning of XmlSchema: updated to
use Java 1.5 collections, rationalize the data model, and generally
try to make it a simpler and more efficient beast.

The CXF trunk has been testing against this version for a couple of
months now, so I think it's time for a release.

This vote will run for 72 hours.

Options as usual as -1, 0, +1.

I vote +1.

Re: [VOTE] Release XmlSchema 2.0

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
+1 - it's been "out"  a while and pretty well tested now.

Thanks!
Dan

On Monday 14 February 2011 7:28:04 AM Benson Margulies wrote:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachews-001/
>
> The above URL is a staging repository for the proposed 2.0 release of
> XML schema.
>
> This release is a significant housecleaning of XmlSchema: updated to
> use Java 1.5 collections, rationalize the data model, and generally
> try to make it a simpler and more efficient beast.
>
> The CXF trunk has been testing against this version for a couple of
> months now, so I think it's time for a release.
>
> This vote will run for 72 hours.
>
> Options as usual as -1, 0, +1.
>
> I vote +1.

Daniel Kulp
dkulp@apache.org
http://dankulp.com/blog

Re: [VOTE] Release XmlSchema 2.0

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
On Monday 14 February 2011 9:23:27 AM Benson Margulies wrote:
> No, it isn't compatible.
>
> I can see your logic as to how someone might end up with incompatible
> versions, but I don't, at this point, want to change the package
> names. 2.0 has been under development for a year, and I've advertised
> it on the user list, incompatibility and all, on several occasions. No
> one has raised this issue.
>
> Anyone who runs into this can always use classloader technology to
> achieve isolation. I won't claim that this would be painless.
>
> As an example of another ASF project, I think that commons-http client
> has not changed package names as they have gone through several major
> versions of incompatibility, though I could be confused.
>
> Obviously, it would only take me about a day to change the package
> name, so if there are a bunch of people who agree with you, I'll
> capitulate. Let's see what other people think.

I personally think it should keep the existing package names.   It's highly
unusual, I feel, to have version numbers burned into the package names.  I
don't see many (any?) projects doing that.

Dan

> On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 9:14 AM, Jochen Wiedmann
>
> <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Is release 2.0 binary compatible with 1.x? If so, a clirr report would
> > be good to demonstrate this compatibility.
> >
> > Otherwise, wouldn't it be better to change the package name? Note,
> > that schema is a component that is relatively likely to be used by
> > different parts of an application and in different versions.
> >
> > Jochen
> >
> > On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 1:28 PM, Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> >> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachews-001/
> >>
> >> The above URL is a staging repository for the proposed 2.0 release of
> >> XML schema.
> >>
> >> This release is a significant housecleaning of XmlSchema: updated to
> >> use Java 1.5 collections, rationalize the data model, and generally
> >> try to make it a simpler and more efficient beast.
> >>
> >> The CXF trunk has been testing against this version for a couple of
> >> months now, so I think it's time for a release.
> >>
> >> This vote will run for 72 hours.
> >>
> >> Options as usual as -1, 0, +1.
> >>
> >> I vote +1.

Daniel Kulp
dkulp@apache.org
http://dankulp.com/blog

[RESULT] [VOTE] Release XmlSchema 2.0

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
We have 4 +1 votes and no others.

And I apologize if I veered into grumpiness on the discussion about
compatibility.

--benson

Posted by Tom Jordahl <tj...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 5:10 AM, Jochen Wiedmann
<jo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 11:06 PM, Benson Margulies
> <bi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> In the nicest way possible, I wish to point out that a release vote is
>> a very late moment to start posing these questions.
>
> That's certainly true, which is why I don't want to press the issue.
> OTOH, it makes me wonder why the question didn't come earlier. It
> should be a standard question whenever someone introduces binary
> incompatibilities in a library project.

Jochen,

I very much appreciate your sympathetic view of the situation.

--benson

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
It isn't very hard to migrate, which is one of the reasons why I
didn't start from a blank sheet of editor buffer. It took me an hour
for all of CXF's rather complex uses.

Such an app would be somewhat screwed. It would need to play with
classloaders to isolate the consumers of the two versions.

HOWEVER,

In the nicest way possible, I wish to point out that a release vote is
a very late moment to start posing these questions.

I further want to point out that the maintainers of the code consist
of me and some small contributions from others. I don't have the
bandwidth to design and implement some sort of complex migration
strategy.

Based on list traffic, I can estimate that there are perishing few
things in the world that incorporate XmlSchema. Do you think that very
many people try to cram CXF and Axis onto one webapp? I don't.

AFAICT, it's quite common to make incompatible changes at major
version boundaries, and, yes, this leads to some pain for some people
who do a lot of mixing and matching.

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
No, it isn't compatible.

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.