Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Guido Medina <gu...@temetra.com> on 2013/08/06 16:37:25 UTC

Solr 4.4 and Google Protobuf

Hi,

I saw inside the solr.war file there is a protobuf version 2.4.0a, I
have two questions about it:

 1. Where does Solr uses protobuf? And is it better than HTTP?
 2. Why is it such an old version if protobuf recommended versions are
    2.4.1 and 2.5.0 - 2.5.0 has an extra 25% performance over 2.4.1
    according to release notes:
    http://protobuf.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/CHANGES.txt

Thanks,

Guido.

Re: Solr 4.4 and Google Protobuf

Posted by Shawn Heisey <so...@elyograg.org>.
On 8/6/2013 8:37 AM, Guido Medina wrote:
> I saw inside the solr.war file there is a protobuf version 2.4.0a, I
> have two questions about it:
>
> 1. Where does Solr uses protobuf? And is it better than HTTP?
> 2. Why is it such an old version if protobuf recommended versions are
>     2.4.1 and 2.5.0 - 2.5.0 has an extra 25% performance over 2.4.1
>     according to release notes:
>     http://protobuf.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/CHANGES.txt

A quick 'grep -rl' on the lucene/solr source code seems to indicate that
protobuf is a dependency of hadoop.  Hadoop 2.0.5 is included in Solr
because version 4.4 can store indexes in HDFS instead of on a standard
filesystem.

It appears that hadoop has problems with the newest protobuf:

Shawn