Posted to slide-user@jakarta.apache.org by John Byrne <jo...@propylon.com> on 2007/07/17 12:08:57 UTC

Using subversion for slide version control

Hi,

Can anyone tell me how (or if it's possible) to use Subversion to handle
the automatic version control in Slide? I know Apache mod_dav uses
Subversion, but we'd prefer to use Slide because of the indexing and
DASL support.

Also, what are the main differences between the "deltaV" version control
in Slide and Subversion? Any info on either of these questions would be
great.

Many thanks in advance!

John Byrne

Re: Using subversion for slide version control

Posted by Julian Reschke <ju...@gmx.de>.
John Byrne wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can anyone tell me how (or if it's possible) to use Subversion to handle
> the automatic version control in Slide? I know Apache mod_dav uses
> Subversion, but we'd prefer to use Slide because of the indexing and
> DASL support.

That's a misunderstanding. mod_dav doesn't *use* subversion out of the
box. mod_dav has an API that allows replacing its internal file system
store by something else, and that's what subversion does.

As far as I can tell, the same *could* be done in Slide (ignoring the
language mismatch), but I don't think that exists. And if it would be
done, you probably would loose the indexing/DASL support.

> Also, what are the main differences between the "deltaV" version control
> in Slide and Subversion? Any info on either of these questions would be
> great.

Subversion doesn't really implement DeltaV (as per RFC3253) -- only a
minimal subset plus lots of custom extensions.

Best regards, Julian