Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Brian Behlendorf <br...@hyperreal.org> on 1998/01/08 02:21:48 UTC

ever bought software?

This is off-topic, delete now if you're too crunched for time.

I'm moderating a panel at Seybold's web developer conference in New York on
March 16th.  The topic is: "the buy vs. build decision".  I am looking for
another speaker for this, but it should be someone who *has* decided to
"buy" rather than build 100%, as I've already got that base covered :)  An
ideal candidate would be one who built a server where Apache gatewayed
(through CGI, etc) to some complex third-party commercial application, or
even where 100% off-the-shelf software was used.  The speaker would talk
about a "buy vs. build" decision they had to make for 10 minutes, then be
involved in Q&A for 40 minutes with the other panelists.  Please have a
GOOD story as to what caused you to make your decision.

Unfortunately there's no compensation involved, just visibility.

Please let me know soon if you're interested.

	Brian

"Optimism is a strategy for making                         brian@apache.org
a better future." - Noam Chomsky                        brian@hyperreal.org

Re: ever bought software?

Posted by Chris Tacy <ch...@enginered.com>.
hey brian,

don't know if you want a whole stack of sf developers on this panel
(grin) but if so we've dealt with this issue a fair amount (and have
come down on both sides of it for different projects).
we've done a couple projects using ATG Dynamo as the middleware solution
for Dynamic content (with Apache and with Netscape). we've also done the
usual search stuff (homegrown, bought and freeware), database stuff
(same as before) and the like.

if you're looking for someone outside the SF community you might want to
talk with either Gong Szeto at io360 (gong@io360.com) or Will Tacy at
New York Times (will@nytimes.com).

take care,

-c