Posted to users@trafficserver.apache.org by Jack Bates <du...@nottheoilrig.com> on 2012/12/07 09:25:52 UTC

Re: Mark traffic for different domains

On 29/11/12 09:11 PM, Jack Bates wrote:
> Do you have any advice how to apply different traffic shaping to HTTP
> traffic for different domains? Our router, which does the traffic
> shaping, is on a different machine than Traffic Server, so I think I
> need Traffic Server to match requests for different domains, and then
> somehow mark traffic in a way that the other machine can pick up and
> filter on?

I found a solution by using a remap plugin and
TSHttpTxnServerPacketTosSet() to set the DSCP field based on the domain.
For example, in remap.config:

map http://wikipedia.org http://wikipedia.org @plugin=tos.so @pparam=12
regex_map http://.*\.wikipedia\.org http://$0 @plugin=tos.so @pparam=12
map http://youtube.com http://youtube.com @plugin=tos.so @pparam=28
regex_map http://.*\.youtube\.com http://$0 @plugin=tos.so @pparam=28

Then on the router we use connection tracking to shape both request
traffic from Traffic Server and response traffic from the origin server.

The remap plugin is *very* short [1], thanks to
TSHttpTxnServerPacketTosSet(). It's just a wrapper so it can be
configured in remap.config. But I'm considering adding a wiki page about
this solution to traffic shaping based on the domain. Would this be
helpful/welcome?

TSHttpTxnServerPacketTosSet() was added in commit b77838 and discussed
in TS-1090

   [1] http://nottheoilrig.com/trafficserver/201212070/tos.cc