Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org> on 2008/02/02 17:22:20 UTC

[DISCUSS] Re-election of podling committers before graduation

Hi,

Following up (finally) on the community diversity discussion of last
December [1], I propose to re-elect podling committers before a
project graduates.

If we agree, I'll start a vote to add the following text after the
"Graduation Process" title at
http://incubator.apache.org/guides/graduation.html#process :

*** Podling committers graduation ***
Once a podling is ready to graduate, its committers are re-elected,
according to the ASF's usual meritocracy rules.

The goal is to ensure that all Apache committers have gone through the
"meritocracy filter", which does not apply to people included in a
podling's initial committers list, for obvious reasons.

The suggested process is to have podling committers (and mentors if
they want) self-nominate themselves, indicating why they believe they
should be included in the list of graduated committers. People who
were on the initial list of podling committers, but did not actively
contribute, are expected to step down at this point.

The PPMC votes to accept the nominations, subject to the usual voting
rules for committers.

The podling's mentors lead this process, usually with no involement of the IPMC.

The results of the committers graduation votes are include in the
podling's graduation request.
***

I think this reflects our discussions at [1], but let me know if I
forgot something!

-Bertrand

[1] http://markmail.org/message/xy57ghwdezq4w4pi

Re: [DISCUSS] Re-election of podling committers before graduation

Posted by Karl Pauls <ka...@gmail.com>.
> > ...Craig has a good point - maybe that 'pruning' process, to the
> > extent it's appropriate, should happen before they start the actual
> > graduation process?
> >
> > The question is how, and it's something no established project has
> > ever figured out, nevermind our podlings :)...
>
> Hence the suggestion that some of us discussed in December:
> re-electing podling committers is a no-brainer for active people, and
> gives others a chance to step out.

Not trying to take a side, what we did in Felix was to just ask
everybody on our list if he would like to step out. Not all people
which I would have expected to do so did at this point but some did.
The reason I point this out is that quite a few of the more inactive
people that stayed on board are by now very active while others are
not as active anymore as they used to be during incubation...

regards,

Karl

> -Bertrand

Karl Pauls
karlpauls@gmail.com

Re: [DISCUSS] Re-election of podling committers before graduation

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Bill,
On Feb 13, 2008, at 4:09 AM, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> In projects where commit is handed out with ease, and that commit is
> never used, at some point it should be reviewed (and this should
> happen
> BEFORE graduation, as a precondition of graduation, not as a trigger
> upon graduation).

Thanks for the clarification. That's exactly what I've been saying all
along.

Craig

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!

Re: [DISCUSS] Re-election of podling committers before graduation

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
On Feb 13, 2008, at 1:38 PM, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

> On Feb 13, 2008 1:09 PM, William A. Rowe, Jr. <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
> wrote:
>
>> ... In projects where commit is handed out with ease, and that
>> commit is
>> never used, at some point it should be reviewed (and this should
>> happen
>> BEFORE graduation, as a precondition of graduation, not as a trigger
>> upon graduation)....
>
> Agree with this, and this is similar to what I was initially
> suggesting.
>
> Several of us in this thread think that this review of commit rights
> should not be a re-election as initially suggested, but rather a
> process that the podling mentors can run as they see fit: maybe not at
> all if all committers are obviously active, by election if desired, or
> in any suitable way.
>
> Do people agree on leaving this up to podling mentors, and requiring
> that they report on this commit rights review in the podling's
> graduation request?

I definitely think it's a mentor-driven process that deserves a
sentence in the graduation request, right along side "meritocracy" and
"independent committers".

Craig

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> On Tuesday 12 February 2008 02:35, Craig L Russell wrote:
>> The difference is that committers in a TLP have been granted this
>> privilege based on their merit, not just by updating a wiki page
>> saying that they're interested.
>
> Actually, if/where this is the case, it is not proper. I want to only see past
> contributors on initial committer lists.

Therefore incubator policy should be to accept no proposals that do not
consist of existing code written by three or more authors.

This whole thread has fallen off-track.

My point was that different podlings, different TLPs have different
considerations for how commit access is handed out (and reaped at
some point in the future based on actual contribution).  My further
point is that we are fitting square pegs in round holes.

In projects where commit is handed out with ease, and that commit is
never used, at some point it should be reviewed (and this should happen
BEFORE graduation, as a precondition of graduation, not as a trigger
upon graduation).

Bill

Re: [DISCUSS] Re-election of podling committers before graduation

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Tuesday 12 February 2008 02:35, Craig L Russell wrote:
> The difference is that committers in a TLP have been granted this
> privilege based on their merit, not just by updating a wiki page
> saying that they're interested.

Actually, if/where this is the case, it is not proper. I want to only see past
contributors on initial committer lists.

Cheers
--
Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer

I  live here; http://tinyurl.com/2qq9er
I  work here; http://tinyurl.com/2ymelc
I relax here; http://tinyurl.com/2cgsug

Re: [DISCUSS] Re-election of podling committers before graduation

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
On Feb 12, 2008, at 3:01 AM, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> Craig L Russell wrote:
>> On Feb 11, 2008, at 8:59 AM, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
>>>
>>> This is almost the exact same issue with a podling; if a user
>>> never actually
>>> participates, as the project graduates should they remain a
>>> committer?
>> The difference is that committers in a TLP have been granted this
>> privilege based on their merit, not just by updating a wiki page
>> saying that they're interested.
>
> Keep in mind that isn't universally true, some TLPs are more liberal
> or
> flexible than others.  E.g. APR handed out commit bits to other
> project
> committers, while in httpd it takes 6 mos or so of consistent
> contribution.
>

>> We already have the concept of emeritus members who, having
>> contributed in the past, are no longer active. I'd like to leave it
>> up to each PMC to decide whether or when to change the status of
>> previous committers/PMC members.
>
> +1 - and I feel it's the same w/ each podling.  It is truly their call
> how to handle this based on how commit privs were granted in the
> first place.

And I feel that we have a duty to podlings to teach them the Apache
Way, which grants commit privileges based on merit.

I'm having difficulty understanding your position. Podlings can grant
commit privileges to anyone with no notion of merit? And no oversight
from the incubator? It's their call?

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
On Feb 11, 2008, at 8:59 AM, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> Niclas Hedhman wrote:
>> On Monday 04 February 2008 04:11, Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:
>>> STM that something along these lines would be a more lightweight but
>>> equally effective process. we could ask the PPMC if it's pruned
>>> inactive committers from the graudation list.
>> Personally, I don't see a difference between inactive committers in
>> a podling than for a TLP.

I think there is a big difference between pruning committers from a
podling and doing so for a TLP.

A podling is created with anyone who can sign an ICLA, accepted as a
committer. The understanding that everyone who signs up will actually
show up. In practice, this is not true, not necessarily due to any bad
faith on anyone's part. So at graduation, the incubator PMC has to
decide whether there is a community with independent actors who are
"committed" to making the project a continuing effort. If there are
committers who are not actually contributing, it makes the PMC's job a
lot harder. It also diminishes the concept of meritocracy when folks
who never participated are granted privileges that they didn't earn.

On the other hand, a duly constituted PMC doesn't allow non-
participants to become committers or PMC members. Everyone must be
voted in as committer or PMC member.

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Feb 3, 2008 9:11 PM, Robert Burrell Donkin
<ro...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Feb 3, 2008 7:47 PM, Filip at Apache <fh...@apache.org> wrote:

> > ...Make it part of the graduation for the contributors in the podling to
> > decide if they want to continue or not. the folks who have made the
> > podling successful enough to graduate should not have to be re-elected....

> ...STM that something along these lines would be a more lightweight but
> equally effective process. we could ask the PPMC if it's pruned
> inactive committers from the graudation list....

I would agree with that, it's simpler and equally effective.

-Bertrand

Re: [DISCUSS] Re-election of podling committers before graduation

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Feb 3, 2008 7:47 PM, Filip at Apache <fh...@apache.org> wrote:
> Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> > On Feb 3, 2008 7:36 AM, William A. Rowe, Jr. <wr...@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
> >

> >> ...Craig has a good point - maybe that 'pruning' process, to the
> >> extent it's appropriate, should happen before they start the actual
> >> graduation process?
> >>
> >> The question is how, and it's something no established project has
> >> ever figured out, nevermind our podlings :)...
> >>

> > Hence the suggestion that some of us discussed in December:
> > re-electing podling committers is a no-brainer for active people, and
> > gives others a chance to step out.
> >
> Make it part of the graduation for the contributors in the podling to
> decide if they want to continue or not. the folks who have made the
> podling successful enough to graduate should not have to be re-elected.
> In the other ASF projects, if a committer has not been active, (s)he
> gets a chance to decide if (s)he wants to step out, one does not start a
> process of re-electing active one. That seems so backwards.

STM that something along these lines would be a more lightweight but
equally effective process. we could ask the PPMC if it's pruned
inactive committers from the graudation list.

- robert

Re: [DISCUSS] Re-election of podling committers before graduation

Posted by Filip at Apache <fh...@apache.org>.
Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> On Feb 3, 2008 7:36 AM, William A. Rowe, Jr. <wr...@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
>

>> ...Craig has a good point - maybe that 'pruning' process, to the
>> extent it's appropriate, should happen before they start the actual
>> graduation process?
>>
>> The question is how, and it's something no established project has
>> ever figured out, nevermind our podlings :)...
>>

> Hence the suggestion that some of us discussed in December:
> re-electing podling committers is a no-brainer for active people, and
> gives others a chance to step out.

Make it part of the graduation for the contributors in the podling to
decide if they want to continue or not. the folks who have made the
podling successful enough to graduate should not have to be re-elected.
In the other ASF projects, if a committer has not been active, (s)he
gets a chance to decide if (s)he wants to step out, one does not start a
process of re-electing active one. That seems so backwards.

Filip

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
Filip's point - and I tend to agree, is that we have quite a few
committers in many podling ideas who never translate into actual
contributors.  Maybe the idea excited them, but other things caught
their attention.  Maybe they were an original contributor to the
incoming codebase, but over the course of some year of incubation,
they never found a reason to contribute again.

But Craig has a good point - maybe that 'pruning' process, to the

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.

Posted by Filip at Apache <fh...@apache.org>.