Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com> on 2018/07/04 07:26:32 UTC

Blocker issues and releases

Hi committers,

I have added a line at https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBIZ/Release+Management+Guide+for+OFBiz "Things to check before a release":

"Check that no open blocker Jira issues are still pending" with a Jira filter

The idea is that when you spot an issue which should block a release you set its priority as blocker

This is also explained at https://s.apache.org/PLDd

The blocking idea is that you can't release w/o fixing a specific issue

Thanks

Jacques

Re: Blocker issues and releases

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
You are maybe right, but we should not confuse the mean with the goal.

It could be indeed that at a moment the checklist is unrealistic.

Then,  before releasing, we should ask for each issue the person who sets the priority if s/he did for the reason documented in the wiki.

If this person maintains but some disagree, then it's the community to decide, by a vote if necessary.

Ultimately if no decision is taken, it's to the release manager to decide issue by issue when releasing.

The filter I created for that shows we currently have only 3 blocking issues.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?filter=12344205

I don't think these issues were defined as blocker for release then.

I asked in them:

"After deciding that a blocker is an issue which blocks a release, should we still consider it's the case here?"

Though these details seem obvious to me, should I put them in the Release Management Guide page?

Jacques

Posted by Taher Alkhateeb <sl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rishi Solanki <ri...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Jacques!!