Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Listman <li...@burble.net> on 2009/04/07 16:38:18 UTC

post commit hook to update a changelist file

it would be nice to have subversion automatically update the CHANGEs
file with the text-description provided with each commit. then when we
make a release we have a starting point for the release notes.

does anyone have post-commit hook script that does something like this
i could take a look at?

thx!

Re: post commit hook to update a changelist file

Posted by Tyler Roscoe <ty...@cryptio.net>.
On Wed, Apr 08, 2009 at 03:06:16PM +0400, Andrey Repin wrote:
> > i'd like to use tags but i can't seem to get the syntax right:
>
> > our release tags live here
>
> Unix>> svn ls http://www.ourcorp.com/svn/versic/builds
> > 0.1
> > 0.2
> > 0.3
> > 0.4
> > 1.0
> > 1.1
>
> > what syntax should i use to get the list of commit messages from 1.0
> > to 1.1 in this example?
>
> [~/]$svn info http://www.ourcorp.com/svn/versic/builds/1.0
> Repository Root: http://www.ourcorp.com/svn/versic
> Repository UUID: f4de985e-6dcf-9f4d-8c76-0c4191c3a480
> Revision: 20
> Node Kind: directory
> Last Changed Author: listman
> Last Changed Rev: 2
> Last Changed Date: 2009-03-29 21:44:40 +0400 (Вс, 29 мар 2009)
>
> This is enough for you? :)

Listman,

Yeah my instructions were a little incomplete. I was thinking of tags in
CVS, which work differently from tags in SVN. However, the data is
there, as lorenz and Andrey have pointed out.

good luck,
tyler

Re: post commit hook to update a changelist file

Posted by Andrey Repin <an...@freemail.ru>.
Greetings, Listman!

--
WBR,

Sorry for my terrible english...

Re: post commit hook to update a changelist file

Posted by lorenz <lo...@yahoo.com>.
Listman wrote:
>Hi Tyler, thx for you response
>On Apr 7, 2009, at 10:08 AM- Apr 7, 2009, Tyler Roscoe wrote:
>[...]
>> svn log -r${FIRST_REVISION_IN_THIS_RELEASE}:$
>> {LAST_REVISION_IN_THIS_RELEASE}
>>
>> with appropriate flags and text mangling to generate the release
>> notes.
>> You could use tags to represent the ${REVISION} variables I used
>> above.
>>

>i'd like to use tags but i can't seem to get the syntax right:
>
>our release tags live here
>
>Unix> svn ls http://www.ourcorp.com/svn/versic/builds
>0.1
>0.2
>0.3
>0.4
>1.0
>1.1
>
>what syntax should i use to get the list of commit messages from 1.0
>to 1.1 in this example?

as far as I know, there is no build in functionality for that.

You will need to parse 'svn log -v <tag-url>' to find the trunk
revision the tag was created from.
--

Lorenz

Re: post commit hook to update a changelist file

Posted by Listman <li...@burble.net>.
Hi Tyler, thx for you response
On Apr 7, 2009, at 10:08 AM- Apr 7, 2009, Tyler Roscoe wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 07, 2009 at 09:38:18AM -0700, Listman wrote:
>> it would be nice to have subversion automatically update the CHANGEs
>> file with the text-description provided with each commit. then when
>> we
>> make a release we have a starting point for the release notes.
>
> Is there a reason you want to do this incrementally instead of all at
> the end? I would use:
>
> svn log -r${FIRST_REVISION_IN_THIS_RELEASE}:$
> {LAST_REVISION_IN_THIS_RELEASE}
>
> with appropriate flags and text mangling to generate the release
> notes.
> You could use tags to represent the ${REVISION} variables I used
> above.

i'd like to use tags but i can't seem to get the syntax right:

our release tags live here

Unix> svn ls http://www.ourcorp.com/svn/versic/builds
0.1
0.2
0.3
0.4
1.0
1.1

what syntax should i use to get the list of commit messages from 1.0
to 1.1 in this example?

TIA

Re: post commit hook to update a changelist file

Posted by Tyler Roscoe <ty...@cryptio.net>.