Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Lee Mighdoll <le...@underneath.ca> on 2013/12/18 18:26:20 UTC

how wide to make wide rows in practice?

I think the recommendation once upon a time was to keep wide storage engine
internal rows from growing too large.  e.g. for time series, it was
recommended to partition samples by day or by hour to keep the size
manageable.

What's the current cassandra 2.0 advice on sizing for wide storage engine
rows?  Can we drop the added complexity of managing day/hour partitioning
for time series stores?

And what do you watch out for if the storage engine rows are a bit
uncomfortably large?  Do extra large rows slow the read path at all?  Or
something subtle like added latency from GC pressure at compaction time?

Cheers,
Lee

Re: how wide to make wide rows in practice?

Posted by Lee Mighdoll <le...@underneath.ca>.
Hi Rob, thanks for the refresher, and the the issue link (fixed today too-
thanks Sylvain!).

Cheers,
Lee

Posted by Robert Coli <rc...@eventbrite.com>.