Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by detlev von davidson <ap...@dpit.de> on 2007/04/17 00:06:45 UTC

[users@httpd] let apache access local service through socket

Hi *!
We have the following situation at hand:
- we have a (c++) server under solaris offering a service through a
   socket, i.e. receiving  and returning XML structures
- so far our clients use an apache server sporting a proprietary
   soap-module to access this service as a soap-webservice
- by the module binding apache workers to worker threads in our
   server, apache basically does the loadbalancing or rather task
   distribution & thread management for our server
- since the soap-part of the module is pure overhead and the rest is
   less than transparent, we'd like to get rid of this module

Therefore the task is: Find a leaner way of getting the xml-requests
to our servers and the responses back to our client while keeping
apache as task distributor if possible.

After searching faqs and archives, my impression is: We have to
write our own module (e.g. following the lines of mod_cgid) to
let a handler do the socket stuff...
Or is there an easier way?

thanks in advance, dave