Posted to users@maven.apache.org by neil hart <ne...@gmail.com> on 2007/03/07 02:45:36 UTC

Best practices for using mvn release, then releasing against the branch

When we use the release plugin it works well by:

   - Changing our x.x-SNAPSHOT to x.x
   - Checks in and tags our code with the x.x version number
   - Changes x.x to x.x+1.

We would like to have some way of starting a branch from the tagged code and
have it change our x.x to x.x.1-SNAPSHOT so we can release using the
branched version number.  Does something like this exist?  Should we do the
release step differently?  Is there a better way of handling this?

Thanks
Neil Hart

Re: Best practices for using mvn release, then releasing against the branch

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.
You're not the first person who has asked for this functionality, but
as far as I know, it does not currently exist in the release plugin.
The release plugin only handles a few very specific use cases at the
moment.

Feel free to add an enhancement request to the JIRA for release plugin
for this feature, but please search before adding as I'd expect its
already been posted.

Wayne

Posted by neil hart <ne...@gmail.com>.
I would think that it would be it's own plugin.  The release plugin would
work when I've done working on my branch, but  I don't have a way to set up
the branch build.  This is even harder in a multi-project environment where
some of the sub projects will be branched and some will not.  We can do this
by hand a few times and get some use cases.

We are slowly moving our build to be more mavenized and more componentized
as we have several dev teams sharing components.

Thanks.

Re: Best practices for using mvn release, then releasing against the branch

Posted by Elid OR <or...@fimasys.fr>.
I think it's could be a good enhancement. Have you created the issue for
that ?

Elid

Posted by neil hart <ne...@gmail.com>.
On 3/8/07, Erik Drolshammer <dr...@idi.ntnu.no> wrote:

<snip>

_Questions_:
> a. Is this the procedure you want?

b. Is this procedure supported by the release-plugin?
> c. Is this best practice? If not, what's wrong or should be changed?

The release plugin will  create the  tag/branch for you.  The pom.xml in the
tag will have the version at x.y.  The plugin will then change the
pom.xmlon the trunk to have version
x.y+1-SNAPSHOT.  Which is great.  It handles all of the -SNAPSHOT references
you may have in other sub projects.

The process I'm trying to understand is post-release.  It is easy to
continue to develop on the trunk and then run the release plugin again, but
how do we do development on the branch and then use the release plugin.  It
would seem we need to manually update the version numbers in the poms.  Once
that is done, the release plugin can do it's job again.

I'm looking to see if someone has a repeatable process for doing this with
the help of maven tools.  Maven may not cover everything in our process,
but, if it can do something, I want to use it.

Neil

Re: Best practices for using mvn release, then releasing against the branch

Posted by Erik Drolshammer <dr...@idi.ntnu.no>.
neil hart wrote:
> When we use the release plugin it works well by:
>
>   - Changing our x.x-SNAPSHOT to x.x
>   - Checks in and tags our code with the x.x version number
>   - Changes x.x to x.x+1.
>
> We would like to have some way of starting a branch from the tagged code
> and
> have it change our x.x to x.x.1-SNAPSHOT so we can release using the
> branched version number.  Does something like this exist?  Should we do the
> release step differently?  Is there a better way of handling this?

We are currently trying to simplify and automate our deployment
procedures, and are interested in some elaboration.

I suggest the following procedure:

Assume trunk is x.y-SNAPSHOT and that Xstream's versioning scheme [1] is
used.

1. Create a new branch named release-x.y from trunk and set version to
x.y in the pom of this new branch.

2. Change trunk version to x.y+1-SNAPSHOT

(Trunk is now ready for further development and you have a
release-branch to create releases from.)

3. Create a tag x.y.z from release-x.y branch and deploy artifact

[1] http://xstream.codehaus.org/versioning.html

--
Regards
Erik Drolshammer