Posted to dev@camel.apache.org by Luke Manner <lu...@gmail.com> on 2012/02/29 18:28:29 UTC

Camel and RabbitMQ

Hi all,
I'm very new to Camel.

I have to define a Camel component for RabbitMQ.

I'm investigating on definition of routes and its impact on my component.

For example if I apply a filter on a route

from("jms:xmlOrders").filter(xpath("/order[not(@test)]")).to("somewhere");

I suppose that it hasn't an impact on my component (I mean I don't have to
manage the filtering in my rabbitmq camel component code).

What about multicast? Do I have to manage it?

For example:  from("jms:xmlOrders").multicast().to("jms:accounting",
"jms:production");

Do I have to intercept the multicast request in some way or is the camel
context that manages it?

Thanks!

Re: Camel and RabbitMQ

Posted by Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com>.
Hi Luke,

No, you don't have to concern yourself with any of that. That is the
very point, camel takes care of all of it. The only concern you would
have is to implement a component that deals with the rabbitmq
technology, i.e. define the endpoint and its configuration and the
necessary producers and consumers.

Even that you may not need/want to do, because there is something
already available (outside the ASF distro) [1] from lshift [2]. I
briefly took a look at it some 6 months ago, and it needs more work, but
it's a good start. What is not clear (to me) is under what license the
authors made available the code.

I hope this helps,
Hadrian

[1] https://github.com/lshift/camel-rabbitmq
[2] http://www.lshift.net/blog/2011/02/04/apache-camel-and-rabbitmq

On 02/29/2012 12:28 PM, Luke Manner wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'm very new to Camel.
>
> I have to define a Camel component for RabbitMQ.
>
> I'm investigating on definition of routes and its impact on my component.
>
> For example if I apply a filter on a route
>
> from("jms:xmlOrders").filter(xpath("/order[not(@test)]")).to("somewhere");
>
> I suppose that it hasn't an impact on my component (I mean I don't have to
> manage the filtering in my rabbitmq camel component code).
>
> What about multicast? Do I have to manage it?
>
> For example:  from("jms:xmlOrders").multicast().to("jms:accounting",
> "jms:production");
>
> Do I have to intercept the multicast request in some way or is the camel
> context that manages it?
>
> Thanks!

Hadrian Zbarcea
Principal Software Architect