Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Paulo Lima <pa...@yahoo.com> on 2002/08/09 15:40:25 UTC

Struts with JSP/Taglib versus Barracuda/HTML/XMLC

Dear friends, I need your help.

I'm trying to prove to my Application Mannager that
Struts with JSP/Taglib is better that
Barracuda/HTML/XMLC .

Please send me arguments to help me in this fighter !

I want use Struts.

Regards,

Paulo Lima.

Placing of Generated Source files in Apache tomcat bin directory

Posted by "Sudhir S. Shetty" <ss...@powershare.net>.
Hi Friends,
Sorry for being off-topic
  I have a struts application on Tomcat4.0.4 ,Im using Log4J
log4j-1.2.5 ,In my application I take an XML file as an input , and I
generate java bean code, by default the generated coide an the log
files(generated by log4j) are being placed in the "C:\Program Files\Apache
Tomcat 4.0\bin" folder, is there any setting or way by which I can specify a
custom location instead of the default location?
Kindly illustrate with an example.

TIA,
regards,
Sudhir

RE: Struts with JSP/Taglib versus Barracuda/HTML/XMLC

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Fri, 9 Aug 2002, James Mitchell wrote:

> Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2002 10:31:29 -0400
> From: James Mitchell <jm...@telocity.com>
> Subject: RE: Struts with JSP/Taglib versus Barracuda/HTML/XMLC
>
> I have a couple of good points to make about Struts
>
> good point good point good point good point good point good point good point
> good point good point good point good point good point good point good point
> good point good point good point good point good point good point good point
> good point good point good point
>
> oh and uh...Craig's middle name is really (shhhh don't tell anyone) "MVC"
>

> All joking aside though.
>
> This is from Barracuda's web site...(but I think its a bit outdated)
>
>  There are several frameworks we feel do compete fairly directly with the
>  Barracuda MVC and Component frameworks:
>
>   Leading Contenders - (In terms of adoption)
>
>    * Struts (Jakarta) - Struts is a JSP centric approach to MVC which is
>      generally viewed as the representative implementation of what Sun
>      calls the Model 2 architecture. Struts is squarely focused on providing
>      a flow control framework for JSP based web apps. It provides a
>      controller servlet, JSP custom tag libraries, and various utilities
>      to support XML and internationalization.
>
>    * Struts does not address component composition/reuse as the Barracuda
>      Component framework intends to do. In terms of developer adoption,
>      Struts is probably the leading contender over all other approaches
>      because JSP has the official blessing of Sun, primarily to compete
>      with MS's ASP strategy.
>

> I could go on for hours, but I would just regurgitate what the articles and
> white papers already say.
>
> You are better off just searching the web.

A couple of interesting searches to try:

* Google -- how many of the first 100 or so entries point at
  our favorite framework?

* Monster.Com and other job sites -- Struts is getting called
  out for an increasing number of job postings, so knowledge
  of it is a career-enhancing skill :-)

> James Mitchell
> Software Engineer\Struts Evangelist
> Struts-Atlanta, the "Open Minded Developer Network"
> http://www.open-tools.org/struts-atlanta

Craig

Posted by James Mitchell <jm...@telocity.com>.

Posted by Christian Cryder <ch...@granitepeaks.com>.
Hi Paulo,

I'd reccomend you evaluate each based on architectural issues, and pick the
technology that best fits your set of requirements. For instance, if you
have to use JSP, then Struts is a logical choice. If you are not constrained
to JSP, then you might want to consider Barracuda for its clean separation
of code from content, excellent localization support, event model, etc.

The point is that Barracuda and Struts differ on an architectural level (ie.
they are not just different flavors of the same pie, but rather they take
distinctly different approaches to solving the fundamental task of building
web pages). The key in my mind, then, is to evaluate each technology and
then make the decision based on the architectural advantages/disadvantages
of each in relation to your unique set of requirements. I think its a
mistake to start by concluding what you want to work with and then trying to
work backwards to justify the decision.

Just my .02...

Christian
Christian Cryder [christianc@atmreports.com]
Internet Architect, ATMReports.com
Barracuda - http://barracuda.enhydra.org
"Coffee? I could quit anytime, just not today"