Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Holger Rauch <ho...@heitec.de> on 2004/09/29 15:12:41 UTC

svnadmin recover doesn't seem to help

Hi!

I'm using Subversion version 1.0.6 (r10360) on a FreeBSD 4.10-STABLE system.
Subversion was installed using the current FreeBSD port from the ports
collection. Furthermore, Subversion is configured to use svnserve via inetd.
The repository was accessed via Windows using TurtoiseSVN.

I tried to dump the contents of the repository using svnadmin like this:

svnadmin dump <repository-path>

This caused the following Berkeley DB error:

svn: Berkeley DB error while opening environment for filesystem
<repository-path>/db:
DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery

svnserve wasn't disabled in inetd.conf and even though noone actively
accessed the repository, it looks to me like TurtoiseSVN did it behind the
scenes.

So, I commented out the corresponding entry in /etc/inetd.conf, HUPed inetd,
asked the user to close his explorer, so that TurtoiseSVN should be no
longer active. Then I invoked

svnadmin recover <repository-path>

The output from the command was:

Please wait; recovering the repository may take some time...

Recovery completed.
The latest repos revision is 59.
svn: Berkeley DB error while closing environment for filesystem
<repository-path>/db:
DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery

I looked at both the FAQ and the Subversion book, but I couldn't find an
answer in there.

To be honest, I'm really lost at this point. Are there any ways to still
recover the repository, even though "svnadmin recover" seem to fail? If so,
what else can I try?

Thanks in advance for any info/pointers!

Kind regards,

	Holger

Re: svnadmin recover doesn't seem to help

Posted by Tobias Ringström <to...@ringstrom.mine.nu>.
Holger Rauch wrote:

>Hi!
>
>I'm using Subversion version 1.0.6 (r10360) on a FreeBSD 4.10-STABLE system.
>Subversion was installed using the current FreeBSD port from the ports
>collection. Furthermore, Subversion is configured to use svnserve via inetd.
>The repository was accessed via Windows using TurtoiseSVN.
>
>I tried to dump the contents of the repository using svnadmin like this:
>
>svnadmin dump <repository-path>
>
>This caused the following Berkeley DB error:
>
>svn: Berkeley DB error while opening environment for filesystem
><repository-path>/db:
>DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery
>
>svnserve wasn't disabled in inetd.conf and even though noone actively
>accessed the repository, it looks to me like TurtoiseSVN did it behind the
>scenes.
>
>So, I commented out the corresponding entry in /etc/inetd.conf, HUPed inetd,
>asked the user to close his explorer, so that TurtoiseSVN should be no
>longer active. Then I invoked
>
>svnadmin recover <repository-path>
>
>The output from the command was:
>
>Please wait; recovering the repository may take some time...
>
>Recovery completed.
>The latest repos revision is 59.
>svn: Berkeley DB error while closing environment for filesystem
><repository-path>/db:
>DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery
>
>I looked at both the FAQ and the Subversion book, but I couldn't find an
>answer in there.

That's odd, because it's described in several places. Try this link to
start with:

http://subversion.tigris.org/project_faq.html#stuck-bdb-repos

/Tobias