Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Nick Dimiduk <nd...@apache.org> on 2015/04/30 07:35:57 UTC

[VOTE] First release candidate for HBase 1.1.0 (RC0) is available.

I'm happy to announce the first release candidate of HBase 1.1.0
(HBase-1.1.0RC0) is available for download at
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/hbase/hbase-1.0.1RC2/

Maven artifacts are also available in the staging repository
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachehbase-1076

Artifacts are signed with my code signing subkey 0xAD9039071C3489BD,
available in the Apache keys directory
https://people.apache.org/keys/committer/ndimiduk.asc and in
http://people.apache.org/~ndimiduk/KEY

There's also a signed tag for this release at
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=hbase.git;a=tag;h=2c102dbe56116ca342abd08e906d70d900048a55

HBase 1.1.0 is the first minor release in the HBase 1.x line, continuing on
the theme of bringing a stable, reliable database to the Hadoop and NoSQL
communities. This release includes nearly 200 resolved issues above the
1.0.x series to date. Notable features include:

 - Async RPC client (HBASE-12684)
 - Simple RPC throttling (HBASE-11598)
 - Improved compaction controls (HBASE-8329, HBASE-12859)
 - New extension interfaces for coprocessor users, better supporting
projects like Phoenix (HBASE-12972, HBASE-12975)
 - Per-column family flush (HBASE-10201)
 - WAL on SSD (HBASE-12848)
 - BlockCache in Memcached (HBASE-13170)
 - Tons of region replica enhancements around META, WAL, and bulk loading
(HBASE-11574, HBASE-11568, HBASE-11571, HBASE-11567)

The full list of issues can be found at
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12310753&version=12329043

Please try out this candidate and vote +/-1 by midnight Pacific time on
2015-05-06 as to whether we should release these bits as HBase 1.1.0.

Thanks,
Nick

Re: [VOTE] First release candidate for HBase 1.1.0 (RC0) is available.

Posted by Enis Söztutar <en...@apache.org>.

>  - a resolution to the RegionScanner interface change, if deemed necessary

Sorry, I confused RegionScanner with ResultScanner. RegionScanner is not a
Public class, only for co-processors. I think we do not need a fix here.

On a totally unrelated note, I was going over the ThrottlingException for
HBASE-13661, and noticed that it extends DoNotRetryIOException. Looking at
the unit tests as well, it means that if the throttle is exceeded, it
bubbles up to the client level as a RetriedExhaustedException, and the
application side has to do explicit handling because of this. I was
intuitively expecting the hbase-client level to handle the throttling
instead of raising this as an application-level exception. Is this the
expected behavior? The exception contains enough details on the throttling
that it seems it can do the wait, but seems strange to delegate that to the
application instead of handling it at the retry layer. Did we chose this
because of fast fail semantics? Sorry I missed the reviews.

This semantics is important for the RC I think, since it is the first time
we are introducing it. Just wanted to confirm that it is an explicit
decision.

Enis

Posted by Enis Söztutar <en...@apache.org>.

Posted by Nick Dimiduk <nd...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Andrew, Ted.

I'm working on fixing the docs. Would someone mind shepherding through
HBASE-13637 and HBASE-13661? We also need to start the discussion on
RegionScanner change.

-n

Posted by Nick Dimiduk <nd...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Andrew, Ted.

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
+1 on a new RC

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)

Re: [VOTE] First release candidate for HBase 1.1.0 (RC0) is available.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
+1 on a new RC

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)

Re: [VOTE] First release candidate for HBase 1.1.0 (RC0) is available.

Posted by Nick Dimiduk <nd...@apache.org>.
Finally, from my side:

Posted by Nick Dimiduk <nd...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, May 10, 2015 at 8:55 PM, Enis Söztutar <en...@apache.org> wrote:

> Checked the documentation. Both the index.html and book are in the old
> format. Nick did you copy the docs from master? This is unfortunate, but
> not a blocker to the RC.

I did copy the docs over, but must be there's pom changes that happened on
master after branch-1.1 was cut.

https://github.com/apache/hbase/commit/4f5b22bc19cb8d24ced5d42ebd9794cfd83bae85

Going through the compat report:
> https://people.apache.org/~enis/1.0.1_1.1.0RC0_compat_report.html, a
> couple
> of interesting things:
>
>   - https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-13551 missed 2 classes
> related to proc v2. They should not be Public.
>
>   - AuthUtil should not be Public.

Okay, I've opened HBASE-13661 for this one. Mind commenting there with the
proc v2 class names?

This seems source incompatibility:

>  - RegionScanner.nextRaw ( java.util.List<org.apache.hadoop.hbase.Cell> p1,
> int p2 ) [abstract]  *:*  boolean
>
> My vote would be -0, since the RegionScanner.nextRaw() although not used
> much is a concerning change and breaks source compat.

The RegionScanner change should be acceptable because it's marked as
Evolving, though let's discuss. The change came in as part of HBASE-13421:
https://github.com/apache/hbase/commit/408b9161754966af80be5046fea657769b24f6a0#diff-87a7898ef24244574a843648feac86b7

Posted by Nick Dimiduk <nd...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Enis Söztutar <en...@apache.org>.
Here are my tests so far:

checked sigs, crcs

build src tarsal with hadoop 2.3, 2.4.0, 2.5.0, 2.5.1, 2.5.2 and 2.6.0.
Build with Hadoop-2.2.0 is broken as previous mail. I don’t think we should
sink the RC for this.

run local mode

simple tests from shell

Build with downstreamer

checked dir layouts

checked jar files

checked version, tag,

Checked the documentation. Both the index.html and book are in the old
format. Nick did you copy the docs from master? This is unfortunate, but
not a blocker to the RC.

Run wiht LTT with 1M load on local mode and 5 node cluster. Seems fine.

Run with different block encoding and compression algorithms

Run 1.0.1 and 0.98.12 clients against 1.1.0 server, some smoke tests (list,
scan) and LTT

Posted by Enis Söztutar <en...@apache.org>.
Here are my tests so far:

Posted by Nick Dimiduk <nd...@gmail.com>.
I'm also traveling today.

Posted by Nick Dimiduk <nd...@gmail.com>.
I'm also traveling today.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <an...@gmail.com>.
Formally, -0

Posted by Andrew Purtell <an...@gmail.com>.
Formally, -0

Posted by Nick Dimiduk <nd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Nick Dimiduk <nd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <an...@gmail.com>.
I prefer to patch the POMs.

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com>.
If we're extending the vote I can find time to verify if running against
2.2 after using our default build fails. So long as running works, I think
we can just release note the build problem for now.

If running fails I'd vote for sinking, given how easy a fix is.

--
Sean

Posted by Nick Dimiduk <nd...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)

Re: [VOTE] First release candidate for HBase 1.1.0 (RC0) is available.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
So we're also dropping support for 2.2 for releases 1.0.x too ?

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)

Re: [VOTE] First release candidate for HBase 1.1.0 (RC0) is available.

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Posted by Enis Söztutar <en...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by anil gupta <an...@gmail.com>.
${hbase.version}="1.1.0"

--
Thanks & Regards,
Anil Gupta

Re: [VOTE] First release candidate for HBase 1.1.0 (RC0) is available.

Posted by anil gupta <an...@gmail.com>.
${hbase.version}="1.1.0"

--
Thanks & Regards,
Anil Gupta

Re: [VOTE] First release candidate for HBase 1.1.0 (RC0) is available.

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.
And the following:

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.
And the following:

Posted by Jean-Marc Spaggiari <je...@spaggiari.org>.

Posted by Jean-Marc Spaggiari <je...@spaggiari.org>.

Posted by Jeetendra Gangele <ga...@gmail.com>.

https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachehbase-1076</url>

Posted by Jeetendra Gangele <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jeetendra Gangele <ga...@gmail.com>.
will it be possible for you to give me below

Artifact Id,GrouId and version.
if this is not possible how to add this repository is Pom.xml?

On 30 April 2015 at 19:28, Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Jeetendra:
> Add the following repo in your pom.xml (<repositories> section):
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachehbase-1076
>
> Then you can use 1.1.0 for hbase version.
>
> Cheers
>
> On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 11:06 PM, Jeetendra Gangele <ga...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > I means how to include in pom.xml
> >
> > On 30 April 2015 at 11:36, Jeetendra Gangele <ga...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > > How to include this is project code any sample?

> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachehbase-1076

> 0xAD9039071C3489BD,

> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=hbase.git;a=tag;h=2c102dbe56116ca342abd08e906d70d900048a55

> and
> above

> supporting

> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12310753&version=12329043

> time
> > 1.1.0.

Find my attached resume. I have total around 7 years of work experience.
I worked for Amazon and Expedia in my previous assignments and currently I
am working with start- up technology company called Insideview in hyderabad.

Regards
Jeetendra

Re: [VOTE] First release candidate for HBase 1.1.0 (RC0) is available.

Posted by Jeetendra Gangele <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.
Jeetendra:

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.
Jeetendra:

Posted by Jeetendra Gangele <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jeetendra Gangele <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nick Dimiduk <nd...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nick Dimiduk <nd...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ashish Singhi <as...@gmail.com>.
Hi Nick.

Posted by Ashish Singhi <as...@gmail.com>.
Hi Nick.

Posted by Nick Dimiduk <nd...@apache.org>.
I'm not sure what's going on with this. I'm in contact with Infra about the
issue.

Posted by Nick Dimiduk <nd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Enis Söztutar <en...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Enis Söztutar <en...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nick Dimiduk <nd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Nick Dimiduk <nd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Enis Söztutar <en...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Enis Söztutar <en...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nick Dimiduk <nd...@apache.org>.
Due to infrastructure issues on my side, I've not been able to test this RC
as thoroughly as I'd like. Given this and the pending HBaseCon, I'd like to
extend the voting window. The expiration time is now midnight/Pacific on
Sunday, May 10.

Thanks everyone for your time on testing.
Nick

Posted by Nick Dimiduk <nd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Nick Dimiduk <nd...@apache.org>.
Finally, from my side: