Posted to dev@ode.apache.org by Assaf Arkin <ar...@intalio.com> on 2008/06/20 22:21:15 UTC

Git quick reference

For anyone who wants to try out Git, here's a couple of good
resources.  The first is a cheat sheet, I keep that one handy:

  http://ktown.kde.org/~zrusin/git/git-cheat-sheet-medium.png

The second is a presentation (PDF document) given out by Scott Chacon
at RailsConf 2008.  No Rails knowledge necessary, and while it's 523
(!) slides long, most of these are just quick transition that show you
different Git commands in action.  I read it through in 15 minutes,
and it's the best presentation I've seen that explains the difference
between merge and rebase, and how Git branching and indexes work:

  http://en.oreilly.com/rails2008/public/asset/attachment/2816

Also a quick reminder.  There's talk about, but so far no official
Apache Git repository (yet).  So one option is using git-svn against
the SVN repository.  A few of us set up personal Git repositories that
mirror SVN, so you can clone those, just keep in mind that these are
personal -- not Apache -- repositories.

Assaf