Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com> on 2005/08/24 19:41:08 UTC

[web] "viewcvs" URLs replaced by alternate syntax on derby website

The Apache server is getting pounded by web pages that use viewcvs to
display a page, such as this:

https://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/db/derby/code/trunk/BUILDING.txt

ViewCVS is great for browsing the history of files, but it's too heavy
weight for just serving up a file like we're doing. I updated Derby URLs
to use this syntax instead:

   http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/db/derby/code/trunk/BUILDING.txt

Note there is a problem with two pages that end up displaying html
source in non-Internet Explorer browsers instead of the formatted page.
I encountered the problem on Firefox 1.0.2 on fedora core 3 and Mozilla
1.7.3 on Windows XP with these two links:

(1) http://db.apache.org/derby/derby_downloads.html links to
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/db/derby/code/trunk/java/testing/README.htm

(2) http://db.apache.org/derby/papers/index.html links to
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/db/derby/code/trunk/java/engine/org/apache/derby/iapi/types/package.html

It works if you save those pages to a file, then open the file locally.
I added work-around notes on derby_downloads.html and papers/index.html
on how to display those pages.

This change is committed in revision 239714 and the changes should
propagate to the web site in a couple hours or so.

  -jean