Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by Neduz <na...@neduz.be> on 2013/02/27 13:16:00 UTC

Connection Refused from ActiveMQConnectionFactory

Hello,

Since I upgraded from ActiveMQ 5.7.0 to 5.8.0 in Karaf 2.3.0, I had to
change the configuration for the setup of the embedded broker and the
ConnectionFactory service.
Previously I created the broker and the ConnectionFactory from the same
blueprint XML file, using the activemq xbean namespace.
Now the broker is created in a spring XML file (which was installed in the
KARAF_HOME/etc folder automatically).

I use this blueprint xml to create a ConnectionFactory service:

<blueprint xmlns="http://www.osgi.org/xmlns/blueprint/v1.0.0"

xmlns:cm="http://aries.apache.org/blueprint/xmlns/blueprint-cm/v1.0.0"

xmlns:ext="http://aries.apache.org/blueprint/xmlns/blueprint-ext/v1.0.0"
           xmlns:amq="http://activemq.apache.org/schema/core">

    <ext:property-placeholder />

    <bean id="activemqConnectionFactory"
class="org.apache.activemq.ActiveMQConnectionFactory" >
        <property name="brokerURL"
value="tcp://localhost:61616?connectionTimeout=10000" />
		<property name="userName" value="****"/>
		<property name="password" value="****"/>
    </bean>

    <bean id="pooledConnectionFactory"
class="org.apache.activemq.pool.PooledConnectionFactory">
        <property name="maxConnections" value="50" />
        <property name="connectionFactory" ref="activemqConnectionFactory"
/>
    </bean>

    <bean id="resourceManager"
class="org.apache.activemq.pool.ActiveMQResourceManager"
init-method="recoverResource">
          <property name="transactionManager" ref="transactionManager" />
          <property name="connectionFactory" ref="activemqConnectionFactory"
/>
          <property name="resourceName" value="activemq.resourcemanager" />
    </bean>

    <reference id="transactionManager"
interface="javax.transaction.TransactionManager" />

    <service ref="pooledConnectionFactory"
interface="javax.jms.ConnectionFactory">
        <service-properties>
            <entry key="name" value="amqCF-pool"/>
        </service-properties>
    </service>

</blueprint>

The result is that even though the Spring xml file has a lower start level
in Karaf, the connectionFactory service gets a "connection refused" when the
first bundle(s) tries to use the ConnectionFactory Service. When I restart
the failed bundles, they can connect and the system runs fine.

So the startlevel("default" broker) < startlevel(connection-factory.xml)<
startlevel(my bundles using the connection factory).

I tried the old blueprint-broker xml, but the namespace handler seems to be
lacking (can't find it in the Services tab on the karaf web console). I
cannot see an activemq-blueprint feature anymore (it's not listed in
http://activemq.apache.org/osgi-integration.html either).

I tried the "depends-on" attribute; but it seems blueprint can't see the
spring-id's in other bundles/xml files.

I also tried to play with the brokerUrl option "connectionTimeout", but the
Connection Refused keeps coming at startup.

The only work around I can think of (but haven't tried yet) is to create a
"dummy bundle" with a start level between the broker and the connection
factory service and perform a thread.sleep in the startUp method, hoping
that the broker's threads have enough time to start before the
ActiveMQConnectionFactory is started.

I could also try to use spring-beans/spring-dm xml format to create the
connectionfactory bean and register the service, but as I was only using
blueprint so far, I'd like to stick to one standard for the whole
application.

Does anyone have any suggestions how to get the ConnectionFactory service
running after the broker started?

Kind regards,

Tom Mercelis

Re: Connection Refused from ActiveMQConnectionFactory

Posted by Tom_Z <to...@arcor.de>.
Hi there,

<reference id="amqFactory" interface="javax.jms.ConnectionFactory" />

worked for me in 5.9.1...

Tom

Re: Connection Refused from ActiveMQConnectionFactory

Posted by Neduz <na...@neduz.be>.
Hello,

Maybe the user forum is not the recommended place for this discussion: but
besides the blueprint xml discussion; there's another "design" question that
I'm not sure of how it is seen by the AMQ devs at this moment:

I'll be making a few assumptions since I'm not very experienced with
ActiveMQ or Karaf or Blueprint:
1) The default contract of ConnectionFactory is that it can throw exceptions
if the JMS broker is not immediately available for some reason (that's at
least the behavior I'm seeing).
2) The creation of the instances of ActiveMQConnectionFactory &
PooledConnectionFactory is in my example done with Blueprint, but it could
as well be written POJO classes, in any OSGi or JEE container. So the design
is very all-purpose.

The solutions we were currently discussing are all based on the Broker and
the Client being in the same OSGI/Spring/Blueprint context, but that may not
always be true. Wouldn't it be useful to have an option in the
(Pooled)ActiveMQConnectionFactory that there's a blocking start-method that
blocks until the connection with the broker(url) is established. This would
allow the "default" behavior of OSGI to be used:
The (pooled)connectionfactory is offered as a Service, and giving it a
blocking start/init-method that retries until success or some configurable
limit is reached (time/attempts/...) would delay the start of all bundles
consuming the javax.jms.ConnectionFactory Service until the broker is really
available (whether this in in the same runtime or anywhere else on the
network).

I can implement this try/retry strategy in the init-method of all my
blueprint bundles; but I think it would be a good addition to have this
functionality in AMQ.

Posted by Gary Tully <ga...@gmail.com>.
The service factory that auto creates the broker based on
etc/org.apache.activemq.server-default.cfg only supports spring xml at the
moment, the injection of properties into a blueprint context that
is explicitly created by the ManagedServiceFactory needs to be in
investigated some more to have is support blueprint in the same way.
Please create an enhancement to track this, because it is something we
should do for the next release.

But the old way of deploying a blueprint xml that contains a broker is
still possible, just drop the blueprint xml into the deploy directory or
add it to your bundle and it will be get initialised.
What has been dropped are the karaf commands that do the copy into the
deploy directory for you.
Using a managed service factory and external properties that can be visible
via config admin provides a more consistent karaf experience.

http://redhat.com
http://blog.garytully.com

Re: Connection Refused from ActiveMQConnectionFactory

Posted by Gary Tully <ga...@gmail.com>.
I guess the service factory that creates the broker should register a vm
connection factory service in osgi once it has successfully started a
broker,
 that could then be used to depend on. I think that is a sensible
enhancement.

One thing that may help today is adding a dependency on the service factory
from activemq-osgi in your blueprint.
 <service ref="activeMQServiceFactory"
interface="org.osgi.service.cm.ManagedServiceFactory">

Once that is available, bound, you know at least that the broker has
started.

http://redhat.com
http://blog.garytully.com