Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by am...@netscape.net on 2002/04/03 08:07:48 UTC

storing index in third party database.

Hi all

I want to index the datas which I already stored in a thirdparty database table and develop a search facility using lucene. I am thinking of storing this indexes back to the database in another table. I know for this we have to create a 'directory' which do all the indexing operations,

for example

Indexwriter indwriter = new Indexwriter("dirStore",null,create);

where dirStore is the directory, create is boolean.

but I don't know the format to be followed for the directory(dirStore).Please help  me if anybody has done similar thing.
TIA
Amith

Re: storing index in third party database.

Posted by Karl Øie <ka...@gan.no>.
without having investigated the problem much i would think that a SQL
database would be a very bad match for lucene as most of lucene's working is
creating key's for words and documents and then creating indexes of these
keys. for these purposes a SQL database is an unecessary overhead, not even
talking about the overhead represented by the SQL language parser.

for these kind of indexes a lower-level database would be better suited. I
have good experiences with BerkeleyDB (http://www.sleepycat.com) and a friend
of me uses gdbm successfully for such key-pair indexing tasks. the advantage
of these low-level databasesystems is that they are really much or less
persistent b-tree/hashtable implementations, and thus created for key-pairing.

they have no SQL layer as you will have to program against them as they are
more subroutines that applications. but for key-pair indexes i have
experienced that BerkeleyDB runs circles around any SQL database (including
db2 and oracle!!!).

Berkeley has a java-api and a b-tree record type that could be a very good
match for a key-based searchtree, and it's free. take a look at it!

mvh karl øie

(ps: i am not payed by the sleepy cat to write this :-)

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com>.