Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Stephen Charles Huey <st...@fastmail.fm> on 2004/07/06 22:32:15 UTC

session and connection timeouts

Hello everyone, we're running Tomcat 4.1.27 and my conf/web.xml has a
session-timeout of 30, which I understand should override the default 20
minutes.  I'm wondering if it actually does, because I see here that
someone is saying there's a bug in Tomcat 4 so that sessions always time
out after 20 minutes:
http://listarchive.cinjug.org/html/users/2004-06/msg00009.html

My main question is how Tomcat reacts if more and more sessions are
opened such that the memory allocated to the JVM gets close to the
max--does Tomcat crash/restart, or should it begin expiring the oldest
sessions in order to recover memory (even though they might be younger
than 20 minutes or whatever the timeout value is)?

As for our issue with connection timeouts, we recently bumped it up to
120000 in order to make sure large file uploads don't fail (usually less
than 1 MB and often less than 500 KB), but I'm wondering if that's a bit
excessive even for users on dial-up connections...

Thanks for your help,
Stephen

Re: session and connection timeouts

Posted by QM <qm...@brandxdev.net>.
On Tue, Jul 06, 2004 at 03:32:15PM -0500, Stephen Charles Huey wrote:
: My main question is how Tomcat reacts if more and more sessions are
: opened such that the memory allocated to the JVM gets close to the
: max--does Tomcat crash/restart, or should it begin expiring the oldest
: sessions in order to recover memory (even though they might be younger
: than 20 minutes or whatever the timeout value is)?

At this point you're talking less about Tomcat and more about Java in
general.

If all objects in the heap are not GC'able, then the JVM will throw
an OutOfMemoryException.  Tomcat may recover from these and give the
user a 500 error.

-QM

--

software  -- http://www.brandxdev.net