Posted to dev@xalan.apache.org by Shane Curcuru/CAM/Lotus <Sh...@lotus.com> on 2000/02/18 14:23:20 UTC

Xalan committers MUST READ: moving xml-xalan dirs in CVS Sunday 20-Feb-00

To better match the structure of Xerces and other projects, we plan to move
the Xalan Java project to live underneath a ./java subdirectory.
I propose to move files about as described below during the evening of
Sunday, 20-Feb-00 (US-Eastern time).

COMMITTERS PLEASE READ:  If at all possible, please commit any outstanding
changes you may have to the below files (mainly xml-xalan Java stuff) by
noon on Sunday, 20-Feb-00 (EST, or GMT-05:00).  Then, after I send an email
confirming the move is finished, I recommend that you save and move to a
different location your old source tree (as a backup, just in case) and
then checkout (not update) a complete new copy of the xml-xalan module.

My current plan is to simply logon to locus.apache.org using SecureCRT, and
simply do 'mv src java', etc.  Tests on a local NT-based CVS repository
showed that this works fine, and preserves the revision history and tags on
all the files quite nicely.  The major risk factor is probably confusion,
and possible problems if people try to commit files from the old directory
structure back in after the move.

I plan to move the following xml-xalan module files/directories:
./java           -> new directory    (already committed)
./src            ->  ./java/src      (move dir)
./samples        ->  ./java/samples  (move dir)
./CREDITS        ->  ./java/CREDITS
./KEYS           ->  ./java/KEYS
./License        ->  ./java/License
./Makefile       ->  ./java/Makefile
./make.include   ->  ./java/make.include
./make.include2  ->  ./java/make.include2
./build.xml      ->  ./java/build.xml
./bsf.jar        ->  ./java/bsf.jar
./bsfengines.jar ->  ./java/bsfengines.jar
(Below files moving into new xdocs area per request dleslie)
./BUGS    ->  ./xdocs/sources/xalan/BUGS
./DONE    ->  ./xdocs/sources/xalan/DONE
./STATUS  ->  ./xdocs/sources/xalan/STATUS
Obviously the README that remains in the root should be updated to reflect
Xalan-wide readme stuff, including both C and Java versions.

Comments on this plan, or specific, proven suggestions on better ways of
moving directories in CVS are appreciated.

----    ----
- Shane         Automation, Test, & Build guy
mailto:shane_curcuru@lotus.com    AIM:xsltest
  http://alphaworks.ibm.com/tech/LotusXSL
  http://xml.apache.org/xalan

Re: Xalan committers MUST READ: moving xml-xalan dirs in CVS Sunday 20-Feb-00

Posted by Arnaud Le Hors <le...@us.ibm.com>.
I've done that many times in the past. Nothing really bad will happen to
people who try to update or commit anything after the move, they will
only get some error message and, as you say, get confused.
One can actually recover from that though. All it takes is to make the
same move operation in your working directory and update the related
CVS/Entries file accordingly.

The main drawback of this operation is that you will no longer be able
to retreive the tree as it was before the move. CVS won't know that
things have been moved. But the alternative isn't quite nice either, as
it consists of cvs removing all the files in the current hierarchy and
cvs adding them back in the new place. This would allow one to retreive
the tree as it was at any given time, but the log of every file will be
split in two, and every "moved" file will start from version 1.1 again
(you could actually fix the latter but that requires more tweaking).

The bottom line is that's one of the areas where CVS is just not good.