Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Eric Frizziero <er...@lnl.infn.it> on 2006/03/06 17:07:25 UTC

log4j-1.3alpha-7.jar: two different archives in Chainsaw and Log4J distributions.

Hi All!

I'm using Chainsaw to display log messages from my application.
After the new release of Chainsaw (SVN tag 'release_20060302'), I am not
able to display the log messages any longer.

My application uses the LocationInfo class (Log4j class);
Both Chainsaw and my application uses the log4j-1.3alpha-7.jar.

After having investigated, I have noted that previous LocationInfo class
is contained in two different packages in Chainsaw and Log4J distributions:
- "org.apache.log4j.spi"               in the
log4j-1.3alpha-7.jar         (Chainsaw distribution);
- "org.apache.log4j.spi.location"  in the log4j-1.3alpha-7.jar
(Log4j distribution)

Why the core jar log4j-1.3alpha-7.jar (named with the same version
1.3alpha-7) is not the same in both the distributions?
Is there probably a mistake in the Chainsaw distribution? Or something
else ...?

Thanks in advance,
  E r i c.

Configuring chainsaw

Posted by Gert Lokhorst <ge...@planet.nl>.
Hi,

I am new to this list so please accept my apologies for asking questions that
are already in some FAQ that I am not aware of..

My problem is that the logfile I get has a structure where the message is
spread over multiple lines. I have tried to identify this by using square
brackets but that does seem to be enough!

Sample message:
[ZZ Core connected to remote services...
host: yyyy13.xxxx.com
port: 8561
repository: zbcd
deployment: Services
]

The configuration file is like:

  <plugin name="LogFileReceiver"
        class="org.apache.log4j.varia.LogFilePatternReceiver">
     <param name="fileURL"
                value="file:///home/chainsaw/chainsaw.log"/>
     <param name="timestampFormat"
                value="yyyy-MM-dd HH:mm:ss,SSS"/>
     <param name="logFormat"
       value="TIMESTAMP [LEVEL] LOGGER - CLASS - METHOD [MESSAGE]"/>
     <param name="name"
                  value="core"/>
     <param name="tailing"
                  value="true"/>