Posted to taglibs-user@tomcat.apache.org by Lee Peik Feng <pf...@syabas.com> on 2004/01/27 03:07:40 UTC

NullPointerException - newbie question

Hi,
    I'm using tomcat 5.0.18 and jakarta-taglibs-standard-1.0.4 with J2SDK
1.4.2, WinXP

    I encounter the following exception :

java.lang.NullPointerException
 at org.apache.jasper.runtime.TagHandlerPool.get(TagHandlerPool.java:153)

java.lang.NullPointerException
 at
org.apache.jasper.runtime.TagHandlerPool.release(TagHandlerPool.java:191)

    I suspect it is something related to taglib because my JSP was running
fine with tomcat 4 (4.1.29)
    Could someone give me some hint on : what is the cause of this prob? how
to resolve this problem?
    Please let me know whether there is any other information that I need to
provide.

    Hope that someone could help me. Thank you.

Regards,
Peik Feng

Re: NullPointerException - newbie question

Posted by Kris Schneider <kr...@dotech.com>.
If you're going to target Tomcat 5 (Servlet 2.4 & JSP 2.0), you should probably
change to JSTL 1.1 (Standard 1.1.0-B1). In addition, you should use a Servlet
2.4  web.xml:

         xsi:schemaLocation="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee/web-app_2_4.xsd"
         version="2.4">
</web-app>

In the meantime, what happens if you disable tag pooling? Look in
$CATALINA_HOME/conf/web.xml for the following:

<servlet>
  <servlet-name>jsp</servlet-name>
  <servlet-class>org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet</servlet-class>
</servlet>

and add the following init param:

  <init-param>
    <param-name>enablePooling</param-name>