Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Alessandro Bottoni <al...@gmail.com> on 2009/11/18 18:54:04 UTC

Best server for development and for production?

Hi All,
in your opinion, which is the best server (servlet container, actually)
for Tapestry?

It seems that Glassfish has an advantage over other solutions in the
development environment because of the deploy-on-change feature supplied
by NetBeans and Eclipse plug-ins but...

What about Tomcat?
What about Jetty?
Which server do you use/prefer when developing and when deploying?

Thanks for your attention.
--

Alessandro Bottoni
Website: http://www.alessandrobottoni.it/

Who wants to remember that escape-x-alt-control-left shift-b puts you
into super-edit-debug-compile mode?
     -- (Discussion in comp.os.linux.misc on the intuitiveness of
commands, especially Emacs.)

Re: Best server for development and for production?

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 3:26 PM, Alex Kotchnev <ak...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Juan,
>

> If you use the latest NetBeans (6.8) it support compile-on-save/copy-on-save
> for both standard and maven based projects, which works perfectly
> (equivalent and better than the deploy on save w/ other app servers) w/
> Jetty and T5's live class reloading.
>
> For Tomcat & Glassfish NetBeans support deploy-on-save ; however, that is
> slower and somewhat more intrusive .
>
> I remember that there were some hurdles w/ getting T5 apps to work w/
> Glassfish in the past due to xml parser conflicts, so there were a few
> things to do.

Yes, though the 5.2 code reverts to using the standard, available SAX
(not StAX) parser.

> So, to answer the question directly, for me it goes like this : Jetty,
> Tomcat, Glassfish
>
> Cheers,
>
> Alex K
>
> On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 9:30 AM, Toby Hobson <to...@googlemail.com>wrote:
>
>> For development I use jetty along with JRebel. Jetty, JRebel and T5's
>> dynamic class reloading make a perfect combination ... I can change pages,
>> components, model objects, even spring beans on the fly. For production I
>> used to deploy on Tomcat or Weblogic although I've recently moved across to
>> Glassfish and have been very happy so far. Incidentally we don't bother
>> with
>> the various appserver plugin's for IDEs ... running weblogic/glassfish on a
>> development machine seems crazy to me ... that's what the staging/test
>> environment is for!
>>
>> Toby
>>
>> 2009/11/18 Juan E. Maya <ma...@gmail.com>
>>
>> > I use tomcat with the sysdeo plugin
>> > (http://www.eclipsetotale.com/tomcatPlugin.html), although as pointed
>> > out by Tiago tapestry reduces the need of deploy-on-change, still the
>> > code in the business layer of the application requires a redeploy.
>> > Sysdeo although not perfect, reduces the deploys to changes Hibernate
>> > mappings or when u add new methods to ur classes (Non-Managed by
>> > tapestry)
>> >
>> > I have never used glassfish so i couldn;t say how they compare
>> >
>> > U could also check JRebel (http://www.zeroturnaround.com/jrebel/) for
>> > a more robust solution

>> actually)

>> supplied

>> developer,
>> > and

Howard M. Lewis Ship

Creator of Apache Tapestry

(971) 678-5210
http://howardlewisship.com

Re: Best server for development and for production?

Posted by Alex Kotchnev <ak...@gmail.com>.
Juan,

Posted by Toby Hobson <to...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by "Juan E. Maya" <ma...@gmail.com>.