Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Sebastien Brisard <se...@m4x.org> on 2011/08/04 07:54:36 UTC

[math] Implementation of Conjugate Gradient (MATH-581)

Hi,
please review a proposal for the definition of general iterative linear
solvers, as well as the implementation of the conjugate gradient method. This
is file MATH-581-06.zip attached to the JIRA MATH-581 ticket.
Thanks for your comments!

Actually, I *do* have a comment. For the time being,
new AbstractIterativeLinearSolver(a, monitor)
throws a NonSquareMatrixException when a is... not square. However, a is not a
matrix, it is a RealLinearOperator. Should we
1. create a new exception, called NonSquareRealLinearOperatorException?
2. rename NonSquareMatrixException (as this exception does not really need to
be specialized to matrices?

Also, I see that the current implementation of NonSquareMatrixException does
not allow one to recover the offending matrix/linear operator. This might be
handy.

Best regards for now,
Sebastien

Re: [math] Implementation of Conjugate Gradient (MATH-581)

Posted by Gilles Sadowski <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>.
Hello.

> please review a proposal for the definition of general iterative linear
> solvers, as well as the implementation of the conjugate gradient method. This
> is file MATH-581-06.zip attached to the JIRA MATH-581 ticket.
> Thanks for your comments!
>
> Actually, I *do* have a comment. For the time being,
> new AbstractIterativeLinearSolver(a, monitor)
> throws a NonSquareMatrixException when a is... not square. However, a is not a
> matrix, it is a RealLinearOperator. Should we
> 1. create a new exception, called NonSquareRealLinearOperatorException?
> 2. rename NonSquareMatrixException (as this exception does not really need to
> be specialized to matrices?
>
> Also, I see that the current implementation of NonSquareMatrixException does
> not allow one to recover the offending matrix/linear operator. This might be
> handy.

Then please create a
  NonSquareRealLinearOperatorException
similar to what has been done for the other "...RealLinearOperatorException"
objects.

I'll subsequently change "NonSquareMatrixException" to inherit from that
one.

Thanks,
Gilles

P.S. Please submit a separate patch for the new exception.