Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org> on 2011/08/31 17:19:06 UTC

RE: Who wants to build OpenOffice? - win32, win64

Thanks Mathias,

I have seen some of those posts on LO, but I didn't see/understand details.

I can imagine there are differences because of changes in how VS2010 uses MSBuild, although I don't know why command-line use of cl.exe from the Make would have changed.  It will be interesting to find out exactly what changed that is a problem.

I suppose the idea would be to find out how to make it work with 2010 (I am slow anyhow), with the goal of building a win-64bit version of OO.o.  If there are C++ Language changes, that is a bigger problem of course.

I will keep looking for what is necessary.  I have VC++ 2008 Express Edition and SDK 7.0 on my Tablet PC.  It can probably be used for a reality check.  Based on what you said about doing a build from a USB drive, I think I can work on the Tablet PC and build from a shared folder on my local network.

Thanks for the feedback.

 - Dennis

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
Tor,

As far as I know the 64-bit compiler is not available with VC++ 2008 Express Edition.  VC++ 2010 Express Edition is also 32-bit (only produces x86) but the expanded compilers are available via the Microsoft SDK 7.1.  (They failed to install on my machine, which may mean I need to uninstall all that and install the SDK first to get everything.)  So the VS 2010 issue can't be avoided for building win64 of OpenOffice.org, at least for cheap.

I keep different versions of VC++ on different machines.  Attempting to have them side by side has been messy in the past (projects get converted, etc., although I prefer to compile command-line anyhow).

In just confirming that I have learned how to build OpenOffice.org for Windows, I will use the VC++ 2008 Express Edition (plus cygwin, perl, and anything else I need to use) and build win32.  I reserve the VC++ 2010 setup for longer-term work and projects beside OpenOffice.

 - Dennis

Posted by Tor Lillqvist <tm...@iki.fi>.