Posted to dev@couchdb.apache.org by Randall Leeds <ra...@gmail.com> on 2011/11/27 01:56:28 UTC

JIRA and Git - Achieving Harmony

Hi, Devs.

I just finished talking with dch a bit about our latest perspective on
raising contribution workflow to the next level in light of the git
migration and the documentation discussion.

Here's a summary of my observations:

  * Having documentation in the source raises the problem that, while
the wiki was open to any contributors, the source is not directly
accessible or commit by non-committers. We need to make sure that when
we move that direction we keep the barrier to entry low for
documentation contributions.

  * Working with git affords us a special opportunity to try to lower
the barrier on community contributions in general.

In thinking about the role of JIRA going forward, I'm left with the
following observations:

 * JIRA is not leaving the ASF (deeply embedded in existing project
workflows, good svn integration, etc)

 * JIRA is actually quite good at what it does well (tracking issues).
I even would say I like it (and maybe prefer it to Github's issues)

 * Having both Github Enterprise and JIRA fragments the contribution
landscape. This has been my experience in practice at an organization
which uses both.

 * Therefore, we should learn to work in harmony with JIRA, and figure
out how best to get it into our git workflow.

*** Please help me improve the JIRA / Git integration situation ***

I've started a page at https://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/GitJiraIntegration.

-Randall

Re: JIRA and Git - Achieving Harmony

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
Hello Randall,

I have not looked to deeply into this post yet (time!!) but from the
outline I think it might be very helpful.
http://olamy.blogspot.com/2011/11/from-pull-request-to-jira-issue.html

@olamy is an ASF fellow too

basically this is a maven plugin which creates a patch an attaches it to Jira:
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-patch-tracker-plugin/

Command is like: mvn patch-tracker:create

Probably we should consider this for the git workflow

Cheers
Christian

--
http://www.grobmeier.de