Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org> on 2007/05/23 01:20:03 UTC

Fwd: LDAPcon 2007

Hi Folks,

This was posted to the safehaus mailing list.

This looks like a very interesting converence.  Perhaps we should consider
some proposals for this conference specifically addressing our LDAP vision
(integration swiss army knife) regarding Triggers, Views for Virtualization,
LDAP Stored Procedures and LDAP queues.

The fact that our vision is not even on the radar screen is a bit worrisome
to me.  We're talking about introducing solid theoretical concepts with firm
foundations in directory technology into the world of LDAP to solve the
problems of virtualization and data synchronization.  We have not sent this
message out.  It's ironic that some ad hoc VD implementations without key
scientific concepts are getting more notice and traction due commercial
demand.  This is due to my failures, (I take full responsibility) so let's
see if we can get our vision out into the mainstream so virtualization has a
real chance to succeed.

Thoughts? Ideas about other potential presentations?

Alex

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.
On 5/23/07, Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> it could be interesting to be there. I never been to Köln before, and
> as it will be LDAP dedicated, I guess we can submit some interesting
> papers :
> - LS
> - enterprise ADS
> - embedding ADS
> - ADS performances

These all sounds great.  I also think we need to have a panel presentation
on the advanced use cases
for LDAP and how LDAP adoption can increase beyond the standard white pages
use case.

Alex

Re: LDAPcon 2007

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Hi guys,

it could be interesting to be there. I never been to Köln before, and
as it will be LDAP dedicated, I guess we can submit some interesting
papers :
- LS
- enterprise ADS
- embedding ADS
- ADS performances

etc...

At least, some of the paper we already issued, but reworked in regard
of the latest modifications we have implemented in the server.

Wdyt ?

Emmanuel

On 5/23/07, Chris Custine <ch...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am interested in attending if it looks like it will be worth the trip, but
> I may be on a consulting gig at that point.  I do have a couple of
> presentations that I started working on but I was targetting them at Java
> audiences like the local Denver and Boulder JUGs.  I will keep tabs on
> LDAPCon though and if it looks like it will be worth it, I will try to come.
>
> Chris
>

> On 5/23/07, Stefan Zoerner <st...@labeo.de> wrote:
> > Ersin Er wrote:
> >
> > > This is very interesting conference. We can do SP+Trigger, ACI,
> > > Embedding/Extending ApacheDS and of course LDAP Studio (must!). We
> > > should discuss this seriously.
> >
> > We do not know, how big this event will be (number of attendees) --
> > seems to be their 1st attempt for this one (1st International Conference
> > on LDAP). And please note, that the organizer does not pay travel
> > expenses by default. So there is some risk that our efforts are not
> > spent efficiently.
> >
> > But it is obviously a good chance to talk about ApacheDS/LS and find an
> > interested audience.
> >
> > Due to the fact, that it is in Germany/Europe:
> >
> > @PAM/StefanS, are you able to attend and submit a proposal about LS?
> > Just as Ersin pointed out, this is a must. And chances for acceptance
> > should be good.
> >
> > @Ersin: Are you able to submit something about SP+Triggers, to have a
> > Vision thin in our baggage?
> >
> > I would be able to attend as well, travel coasts are no problem for me,
> > it is not that far and I know some people in Cologne. I would be able to
> > submit a proposal about Apache Directory in general, its capabilities
> > and strengths etc. But this obviously is something Emmanuel can better do.
> >
> > Btw.: For Christine, it would be a home game as well.
> >
> > Any travelers from oversees?
> >
> > Greetings from Hamburg,
> >      Stefan

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com

Re: LDAPcon 2007

Posted by Chris Custine <ch...@gmail.com>.

Re: LDAPcon 2007

Posted by Stefan Seelmann <se...@apache.org>.
I am really interested in attending this conference. I think we should
present LS there.

Re: LDAPcon 2007

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.
On 5/23/07, Stefan Zoerner <st...@labeo.de> wrote:

> Ersin Er wrote:
>
> > This is very interesting conference. We can do SP+Trigger, ACI,
> > Embedding/Extending ApacheDS and of course LDAP Studio (must!). We
> > should discuss this seriously.

SNIP ...

Any travelers from oversees?

I might be able to make it.  I think I want to do a presentation on the
Future of LDAP to elaborate on
our common vision.  This might be a talk about taking LDAP beyond just the

Re: LDAPcon 2007

Posted by Stefan Zoerner <st...@labeo.de>.

Re: LDAPcon 2007

Posted by Ole Ersoy <ol...@gmail.com>.
I wonder
if there is
a better word for Virtualization?

The first thing that comes to
mind for me is splitting is making
a single piece of hardware appear as
multiple hosts to clients.

I'm betting all the core LDAP guys get it,
but once a wider audience gets targeted,
it might be helpful to have a more acute
word for it, along with some simple use cases
for appetite wetting.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers,
- Ole

Re: LDAPcon 2007

Posted by Ersin Er <er...@gmail.com>.
On 5/23/07, Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> This was posted to the safehaus mailing list.
>
> This looks like a very interesting converence.  Perhaps we should consider
> some proposals for this conference specifically addressing our LDAP vision
> (integration swiss army knife) regarding Triggers, Views for Virtualization,
> LDAP Stored Procedures and LDAP queues.
>
> The fact that our vision is not even on the radar screen is a bit worrisome
> to me.  We're talking about introducing solid theoretical concepts with firm
> foundations in directory technology into the world of LDAP to solve the
> problems of virtualization and data synchronization.  We have not sent this
> message out.  It's ironic that some ad hoc VD implementations without key
> scientific concepts are getting more notice and traction due commercial
> demand.  This is due to my failures, (I take full responsibility) so let's
> see if we can get our vision out into the mainstream so virtualization has a
> real chance to succeed.
>
> Thoughts? Ideas about other potential presentations?

This is very interesting conference. We can do SP+Trigger, ACI,
Embedding/Extending ApacheDS and of course LDAP Studio (must!). We
should discuss this seriously.

> Alex

Ersin