Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Brian Rectanus <br...@gmail.com> on 2006/05/11 22:10:43 UTC

[users@httpd] Re: mod_proxy_balancer stickysession issues

Brian Rectanus wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I am having problems with mod_proxy_balancer and sticky sessions in
> 2.2.0 - 2.2.2.
>
> Here is what I have:
>
> NameVirtualHost *:80
> Listen 80
> <VirtualHost *:80>
>   <Proxy balancer://apps>
>     BalancerMember http://server1:8000 route=server1
>     BalancerMember http://server2:8000 route=server2
>   </Proxy>
>   ProxyPass / balancer://apps/ stickysession=MYCOOKIE nofailover=On
> </VirtualHost>
>
> This *should* balance all requests to either server1 or server2 and
> append a '.server[12]' to the MYCOOKIE value.  Then, on the next request
> MYCOOKIE value would be something like '1234567.server1', and the route
> set to server1.  Is this correct?
>
> However, the route is not being appended to the cookie value, so the
> sessions are not sticky.
>
> 1) Client requests main page
> 2) Server sends main page w/Set-Cookie MYCOOKIE=1234567
> 3) Client makes sub-requests w/Cookie MYCOOKIE=1234567
> 4) Server balances as if no sticky sessions (no route found)
>
> Should 2) above be:
>
> 2) Server sends main page w/MYCOOKIE=1234567.server1
>
> as I expect?

I forgot to mention in the original post:

If I modify the cookie value on the client so that it *does* append
the '.server1', then all is fine and it works the way I expect.  The
server is just not doing that as I expect it to.

Also, I have tried using this:

ProxyPass /path/ balancer://apps/path/ stickysession=MYCOOKIE nofailover=On

as well as:

ProxySet balancer://apps stickysession=MYCOOKIE nofailover=On
RewriteRule ^/(.*) balancer://apps/$1 [P,L]

All had the same failed result.

Thanks,
-B

[users@httpd] Re: mod_proxy_balancer stickysession issues

Posted by Brian Rectanus <br...@gmail.com>.
On 5/11/06, Brian Rectanus <br...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Brian Rectanus wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I am having problems with mod_proxy_balancer and sticky sessions in
> > 2.2.0 - 2.2.2.
> >
> > Here is what I have:
> >
> > NameVirtualHost *:80
> > Listen 80
> > <VirtualHost *:80>
> >   <Proxy balancer://apps>
> >     BalancerMember http://server1:8000 route=server1
> >     BalancerMember http://server2:8000 route=server2
> >   </Proxy>
> >   ProxyPass / balancer://apps/ stickysession=MYCOOKIE nofailover=On
> > </VirtualHost>
> >
> > This *should* balance all requests to either server1 or server2 and
> > append a '.server[12]' to the MYCOOKIE value.  Then, on the next request
> > MYCOOKIE value would be something like '1234567.server1', and the route
> > set to server1.  Is this correct?
> >
> > However, the route is not being appended to the cookie value, so the
> > sessions are not sticky.
> >
> > 1) Client requests main page
> > 2) Server sends main page w/Set-Cookie MYCOOKIE=1234567
> > 3) Client makes sub-requests w/Cookie MYCOOKIE=1234567
> > 4) Server balances as if no sticky sessions (no route found)
> >
> > Should 2) above be:
> >
> > 2) Server sends main page w/MYCOOKIE=1234567.server1
> >
> > as I expect?
>
> I forgot to mention in the original post:
>
> If I modify the cookie value on the client so that it *does* append
> the '.server1', then all is fine and it works the way I expect.  The
> server is just not doing that as I expect it to.
>

> Also, I have tried using this:
>
> ProxyPass /path/ balancer://apps/path/ stickysession=MYCOOKIE nofailover=On
>
> as well as:
>
> ProxySet balancer://apps stickysession=MYCOOKIE nofailover=On
> RewriteRule ^/(.*) balancer://apps/$1 [P,L]
>
> All had the same failed result.
>
> Thanks,
> -B

Well, I am still having issues with this.  Anyone else seen similar
results?  Anyone with more experiance with balancer code know if what
I am assuming to be correct is really what is *supposed* to be
happening? :)

Here is what I configured with if it helps:
./configure \
  --with-ldap-include=$LDAP_DIR/include \
  --with-ldap-lib=$LDAP_DIR/lib \
  --with-ldap \