Posted to ftpserver-users@mina.apache.org by Jerry M <te...@malcolms.com> on 2012/12/07 05:43:25 UTC

Re: FTP server dies every few hours

I've been using the FTPServer (on Win Server 2008) since around June of
this year.  I don't need ftp around the clock.  So this problem hasn't
been critical.  But it has become very annoying.  I have it configured
to run as a Windows service.  I'll start the FTP service.  Do ftp tasks
on and off for a few hours.  When I come back hours later or the next
day and try to FTP, I get a "server closed connection unexpectedly" or
something like that when I try to send or receive.  I then have to log
on to the server and bounce the ftp service.  Everything is good to go
again, for a few hours.  Then it's dead again the next time I need it.

Again, this is as consistent as clockwork.  I've never had it stay up 24
hours.  I looked at the FTP logs and see nothing irregular logged.

First question... does this sound familiar to anyone?  Second
question... if no one has heard of this behavior until now, what kind of
debug can I do to try to figure out what is happening? (I've got an
extensive coding and debug background.  So I can go under the hood if
necessary).

I like the server.  I would just like for it to stay alive more than a
few hours.

BTW... not seeing anything like this on any of my other servers (apache,
tomcat, james) that are running in the same box.

Thanks.

Jerry

Re: FTP server dies every few hours

Posted by Sai Pullabhotla <sa...@jmethods.com>.
Which FTP client are you using? Are you leaving the client open/idle for
several hours and then getting the "server closed connection" error when
you attempt to transfer the files?

Posted by David Latorre <dv...@gmail.com>.
Hello Jerry,

 We have several instances of FTPServer in Linux and Win Server 2003 and
never suffered such a problem (they have been running for months now). Can
you provide us with the following information?

1) Apache FTPServer, Apache MINA and JRE/JDK versions.

2)  Are you using any custom code (e.g., Ftplets, commands, filesystem )  ?

I cannot recall any similiar issue so my initial thought was that your
problem is due to 2) - but I haven't been able to follow the mailing list
lately so I might be utterly wrong.