Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by "Sean H." <fo...@dezynworks.com> on 2009/09/24 16:30:13 UTC

PROPFIND 400 Error with https

Hello,

I've never set up a subversion repository before, but it has become
necessary for a project I'm working on. I've set it up with WebDAV and
Apache. My first result was the famous PROPFIND 400 error. Since I'm not
behind any proxies I have an influence over (or that I am even aware of)
that avenue wasn't an option. One recommended solution was using https.
So I got a certificate and set up SSL, but I'm still getting the same error.

Command: Import [c:\filepath] to https://svn.[domain].com/[repository]
Error: Server sent unexpected return value (400 Bad Request) in response
to PROPFIND
Error: request for '[repository]/!svn/vcc/default'

I'm using TortoiseSVN as the local client. I didn't find any discussion
of this issue in the Tortoise forum, so I'm assuming it's not an issue
w/ the client.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

-Sean

Re: PROPFIND 400 Error with https

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Sep 25, 2009, at 19:08, Sean H. wrote:

> The host is a Linux Redhat Enterprise 4ES
> Apache 2.052
>
> <VirtualHost 67.192.58.62:443>
>   ServerName svn.aegis3d.com
>   SSLEngine On
>   SSLCertificateFile /etc/httpd/conf/ssl.crt/aegis3d.com.crt
>   SSLCertificateKeyFile /etc/httpd/conf/ssl.key/aegis3d.com.key
>   <Location>
>      DAV svn
>      SVNParentPath /var/www/repository/
>      AuthType Basic
>      AuthName "Aegis Subversion Repository"
>      AuthUserFile /var/www/pwd/svn-auth-file
>      Require valid-user
>      SSLRequireSSL
>   </Location>
> </VirtualHost>
>
> I'm an svn noob. I don't see a way to get svn to tell me what
> version it
> is. A -v or -version switch doesn't seem to exist, and help
> wasn't...helpful. I can't find any record from up2date either. It's
> only
> been a few months, so it can't be too out of date. I don't know what
> apr is.
>
> I'm using TortoiseSVN 1.6.5, Build 16974 - 64bit on Vista64.
>
> The authentication process works, so I'm assuming that SSL is
> configured
> and working or I wouldn't get that far. It's not until after login I
> get
> there error message. If there's anything else you need, just let me
> know.

Where is the repository on disk?

Is /var/www/repository the repository, or is the repository a
directory inside /var/www/repository? If the former, which I suspect
based on the name you gave the directory, then you need SVNPath and
not SVNParentPath.

Your Location directive is also incomplete. You didn't tell it what
location. Change "<Location>" to "<Location /svn/>" or if not /svn/
then put in whatever URL path you actually want to serve out of. If
you want to serve out of the root of this vhost, which I suspect based
on the name you gave the vhost, then you could use "<Location />" but
be aware that there are some issues associated with doing so, and for
that reason it is recommended not to serve out of "/".

Re: PROPFIND 400 Error with https

Posted by "Sean H." <fo...@dezynworks.com>.

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.