Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Martin Heidegger <mh...@leichtgewicht.at> on 2012/02/13 18:10:03 UTC

Re: SVN vs Git [MENTOR]

On 14/02/2012 02:03, Kevin Korngut wrote:
>> As I said: Those groups and proposals could send it back using diffs and
>> entries. At this point a discussion would
>> be documented. So: While a community at github would "prepare" a proposal
>> the final discussion for a integration
>> would go on here.
> Martin, Nick brings up something here that we need to be very careful of.
> If we hope to graduate from the incubator then we need to be sure we're
> doing things the "Apache Way". If we start working over on github I think
> there is a very real danger that there could be two code conversations at
> which point I believe we would be putting this project in jeopardy.

I guess we need help from a mentor here.

yours
Martin.

Re: SVN vs Git [MENTOR]

Posted by Greg Reddin <gr...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 11:10 AM, Martin Heidegger <mh...@leichtgewicht.at> wrote:
>> Martin, Nick brings up something here that we need to be very careful of.
>> If we hope to graduate from the incubator then we need to be sure we're
>> doing things the "Apache Way". If we start working over on github I think
>> there is a very real danger that there could be two code conversations at
>> which point I believe we would be putting this project in jeopardy.

I've been following the conversation and right now I don't see a
problem. I'd place the following parameters around working on things
at github:

 * all discussion about the code should happen on list
 * github is an acceptable way for non-committers to work on patches.
They will need to be submitted as Jira tickets to be included in our
main repository.
 * long, drawn-out work efforts should not occur on github and then be
brought to the community. Let us know what you are working on, work on
it a bit, then bring your work back here so we can all see it.
 * committers should favor doing work in branches, whiteboard, etc. in
our svn tree. Yes it's harder for non-committers to contribute, but
when a non-committer starts to contribute he/she should not be a
non-committer much longer :-)

To summarize, I don't have a problem with people using github as a
place to share ideas. But those ideas should be discussed on-list and
developed in our repo as much as possible.

As a disclaimer, there's been *tons* of discussion about git and
github at Apache. My views may be way off of what the overall
foundation position as a whole is, so this is subject to change. But I
think we're ok as long as we focus on sharing work here on-list and
getting stuff into our svn repo as soon as possible.

Greg