Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by David Goodenough <da...@btconnect.com> on 2004/07/15 20:31:25 UTC

An odd problem with Tomcat4

I have a perplexing problem with Tomcat 4.1, and I wonder if anyone
recognises the symptoms or can make any suggestions.

I have a Debian unstable Tomcat 4.1 system which has a servlet which
takes XML datastreams and responds with XML responses.  This servlet
is being used (successfully) by some automated processes.  It has been
designed for concurrent access.  The servlet logs all request and the
using HTTPS.  This system is using the Sun 1.4.1 SDK.

Recently I added a web front end to this system, which is written
using JSP and JSTL and which uses the IO taglib to submit requests
to the servlet and then parse the reply onto the screen.  Normally
this works very well, but recently as we added more users we hit a
problem where the response that is received is empty.  Once this
user is hit any further requests from that user hit the same problem,
and also initially other users are unaffected eventually it spreads
like a cancer and everyone gets it (all the web users that is, the
automated XML users continue unaffected).  The servlet log
indicates that responses were sent to all requests, and using a
network traffic analyser there is a response which looks about
the right length (but is of course encrypted).

I have looked through the IO taglib source, and I can not find
anything that looks like a static or shared variable which might
cause this, but I can not see anything.

Anyone got any bright ideas?

David