Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by lynk <is...@gmail.com> on 2007/08/10 10:57:41 UTC

MS outlook can't read parsed email... HELP!!

I'm totally confused re this spamassassin thingy... i can't seem to get MS
outlook to read the email i received (spam/ham) after spamassassin(3.1.9)
scanned the message.
it seems that i had set everything up correctly cause i managed to run the
assassin test (spamassassin -D -t <sample-spam.txt>out.eml) correctly using
the text file that comes with spamassassin. When i tried it on exchange
however, (after installing ESA Sink),  i could not get the scanned email to
be read by MS outlook/OE.. Somehow the Email header tags could not be
recognized.. i get blank sender, receiver and subjects. Is it my
configuration of the spamAssassin local.cf or is it something else..

any sort of help on this matter will be greatly appreciated. Thank u so
much...

best regards,

SpamAssassin Newbie

Re: MS outlook can't read parsed email... HELP!!

Posted by Kai Schaetzl <ma...@conactive.com>.
It looks like your message gets scanned twice as the report header is
added twice. As a first you may want to stop adding the spam report, then
the body won't get rewritten anymore.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany

Re: MS outlook can't read parsed email... HELP!!

Posted by Magnus Holmgren <ho...@lysator.liu.se>.
On Monday 13 August 2007 07:12, Nigel Frankcom wrote:
> [20:35] <!JamesDR> man, who ever wrote this ExchangeSpamC NEVER use
> option explicit, therefore almost all of his vars (that he didn't
> copy/paste from) weren't dimensioned

Sounds like Visual Basic... ;-P

--
Magnus Holmgren        holmgren@lysator.liu.se
                       (No Cc of list mail needed, thanks)

Re: MS outlook can't read parsed email... HELP!!

Posted by Nigel Frankcom <ni...@blue-canoe.com>.
On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 21:52:28 -0700, Evan Platt
<ev...@espphotography.com> wrote:

>At 08:19 PM 8/12/2007, lynk wrote:
>
>>I'm totally confused re this spamassassin thingy... i can't seem to get MS
>>outlook to read the email i received (spam/ham) after spamassassin(3.1.9)
>>scanned the message.
>
>You posted this 2 days ago. If no one answers again, I have two suggestions:
>
>First would be ask in a Outlook / Microsoft forum. Perhaps not a lot
>of people here use OutHouse / Outhouse Distress.

>>http://www.nabble.com/MS-outlook-can%27t-read-parsed-email...-HELP%21%21-tf4247467.html#a12087709
>>Sent from the SpamAssassin - Users mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>
>Second would be ditch Nabble. Nabble is simply a web based forum
>that's a link to a e-mail group -
>users-subscribe@spamassassin.apache.org
>
>I for one am close to killfiling any posts from them, so I'm sure
>others perhaps already are.

For what it's worth a colleague of mine is throwing many curses at the
spamc component for SA. His comments are not repeatable in polite
company. Some of *his* problems stem from the way the spamc connector
is written... Below is an extract of the irc rant he had on the
subject....

[20:24] <!JamesDR> damn it
[20:25] <!JamesDR> the exchange plugin is adding 3 CR's
[20:25] <!JamesDR> hmm
[20:52] <!JamesDR> sa 3.2.3 is out
[21:13] <!JamesDR> Grr.
[21:14] <!JamesDR> I think I'm going to replace the exchange spamc
junk with what I know works
[21:14] <!JamesDR> mtsmilter code

[20:35] <!JamesDR> man, who ever wrote this ExchangeSpamC NEVER use
option explicit, therefore almost all of his vars (that he didn't
copy/paste from) weren't dimensioned
[21:31] <!JamesDR> seems to be sorted now :-D
[21:31] <!JamesDR> converted my old code to the new code
[21:44] <!JamesDR> PITA, cause it was adding CR's to messages, namely
3 mroe
[21:44] <!JamesDR> more
[21:44] <!JamesDR> but outlook and OWA displayed the messages OK, but
blackberries didn't
[21:45] <!JamesDR> I figured out why, he blindly replaced CR's with
CRLF's then replaced LF's with CRLF's
[21:45] <!JamesDR> then for good measure
[21:45] <!JamesDR> before writing back to exchange, replaced Cr's
again with CrLF's

I have no idea if this is related to your problem, what I can say is
that many of my users use Outlook and they have had no issues (that
said, I don't use Exchange).

It may be worth your while upgrading to a later version of SA (3.2.3)
and seeing if that helps at all. Also take SA back to absolute bare
bones, read all the docs carefully and see how far you get before
problems start to appear/reappear.

As the man says, talk to the OL people, see if they have any helpful
input (I wouldn't hold your breath on that one).

Check you logs, see what info is being posted there for any clues.
Apologies if this is teaching you to suck eggs but I'm of the opinion
it's best to start with the obvious and simple and work up from there.

Just my 2p worth.

KR

Nigel

Re: MS outlook can't read parsed email... HELP!!

Posted by Kai Schaetzl <ma...@conactive.com>.
Lynk wrote on Mon, 13 Aug 2007 03:02:07 -0700 (PDT):

> I'm searching for Nigel's posting as suggested by you.. but
> couldn't seem to find the right postings

It's in this thread, Message-ID
<g5...@blue-canoe.net>
If you can't find it stop using Nabbel as has already been suggested.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany

Re: MS outlook can't read parsed email... HELP!!

Posted by lynk <is...@gmail.com>.
hi,
i already clear off the spam reports using clear_headers in my local.cf
still getting the same results... outlook still won't read my msg properly..
still came with the extra newline char at the end of each message
headers.... I'm searching for Nigel's posting as suggested by you.. but
couldn't seem to find the right postings... can u help me out... thank's so
much..

Posted by Kai Schaetzl <ma...@conactive.com>.

Posted by Kai Schaetzl <ma...@conactive.com>.
lynk, your comments are indistinguishable from Loren's quoted text. A ">"
means quoted text, please do not put ">" before your own answer!

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany

RE: MS outlook can't read parsed email... HELP!!

Posted by Steven Manross <st...@manross.net>.

I created it myself.. There's drawbacks to using the SA APIs, like
dependencies on the SA version and the functions that need to be called
in the various SA verisons (dating back to 2.63 when I built this
thing)..  So, there's something to be said for calling the bat file, and
being done with it!

My script is pure perl.

P.S. until recently, I hadn't made a change to my sink in over a year,
so Chris not updating his in that same time period isn't that unusual.

Let me go ahead and put a copy out on the web along with config files
and a dependency module that can't be found on the web.

Please, no comments about my web design skills (or lack thereof).  :)

http://www.manross.net/spamassassin/eventsink.txt
(rename the eventsink.txt to eventsink.vbs prior to use)

http://www.manross.net/spamassassin/sampleini.txt

http://www.manross.net/spamassassin/Ini.pm.txt
(rename the ini.pm.txt to ini.pm and place in the C:\Perl\Site\lib\SRM
folder -- create if necessary)

This code is purely for the interested.  Any suggestions for code
improvements would be greatly appreciated (please reply offlist, since
Exchange is not a buzzword that happens too often on this list).

But, to reiterate, I don't think Chris' sink is to blame here.  I think
the text file is messed up prior to reimporting it (because Chris and I
are doing the same ADODB code to reimport the text file). As well, I've
gotten confirmation that the original poster is trying to install
another version (SA3.23) just to make sure nothing's messed up in the sa
install.

I do a lot of very custom things in my sink (but a lot of it is
configurable to turn on/off):
 --like an RBL check that requires 2 or more hits prior to discarding a
message (configurable)
   as my wife doesn't think that someone's server getting blacklisted is
a valid reason not to
   accept mail from xyzreallybigisp.com, so I require 2 listings
(hopefully
   the chance of xyzreallybigisp.com getting listed by two separate
DNSBL servers by accident is
   much harder).

 --custom logging for each mail message and it's disposition (as well as
SA Debug logging)

 --maintaining an MS SQL server list of IPs that have been checked
against blocklists
   in the last 24 hours and importing DNSBL positive IPs into the IIS
(Exchange) Connection Deny list
   using a Perl Module (available on CPAN --
Win32::Exchange::SMTP::Security) for the next 24 hours.

 --attachment stripping (based on file extension)

 --sql message disposition logging so I can track and chart mail load
based on SA category
   (Real Mail, SPAM, NDR,DNSBL,Outgoing, etc).

 --dropping messages that have encoded subjects, tos, froms, etc..
(that's probably not RFC,
    but I don't deal with mailing regions that encode those fields on a
regular basis, so I can
    get away with it.

I will admit that my script isn't the best, since I believe there's a
memory leak in the code (or in Activestate's OLE implementation) that
I've never been able to nail down.  :(

But, I deal with it, and by mail traffic is somewhat lite (except for
all the SPAM, and, of course the  traffic from this list...  HAHA).

Steven

Re: MS outlook can't read parsed email... HELP!!

Posted by Loren Wilton <lw...@earthlink.net>.

Posted by Steven Manross <st...@manross.net>.

The initial poster has reported success by reinstalling SA version 3.17
(after deleting SA completely).

As well, I thought I was running 3.18 and am not..  I am using 3.17.

There could be a bug in 3.19 still, but I don't have time to validate
that possibility.  Maybe the poster's problem was just an install
issue(that's what I am leaning towards).  Anyways, he is happy and
filtering spam!

FYI to all.

Steven

RE: MS outlook can't read parsed email... HELP!!

Posted by Steven Manross <st...@manross.net>.
Sorry for jumping in late to this thread..  But, I currently run SA3.18
with a similar yet different Exchange Sink and have no such problems as
the original poster.

Steven

I wonder if the user is actually running SA3.19 or some other version
like 3.02? As I recall, that version (I think) had a major bug for CRLF
that majorly messsed with Outlook email. (I had to write a work-around
function for a while until I installed a bugfixed version (I think
3.11).  According to my notes, the problem I think this is related to is
bug 4363 (and as of version 3.11, I no longer needed my "work-around"
code).

> I looked at the source code, but it is rather cryptic VB.
> Unless you have the docs on the functions he is calling,
> there is no way to guess what half the parameters really
> mean.  There is probably a nice simple one-line fix somewhere
> in the source for this problem.  Unfortunately it isn't real
> obvious where to put it or what it would be.

The VB from Chris Lewis' ESA Sink uses the ADODB.Stream object.  It's
required for Exchange to properly parse the message back after it's been
dumped out to a text file.

(I use the same functions in my own code, so I know).

I would highly doubt that Chris Lewis' code is messing with the mail
because it is just reading the mail message as it is stored in the txt
file (as parsed through SA).  Again, I am really wondering if SA is an
older bugged version.  Is there any chance that the original poster can
reinstall SA with version 3.19? And/or 3.18 because my system works well
with 3.18.

> Since he seems to be calling a bat file to run SA and
> redirecting stdin and stdout, it would probably be possible
> to write a little 5-line C program that would strip CRs out
> of the SA result on the way to the temp file he is creating,
> and then things might work.  I suspect there are probably
> stripcr stream utilities sitting around on the web that will
> do this without having to write one.

I guess I would consider a sed, awk, or chmod or other equally useful
programs/functions just as cryptic as the COM code that you say is
cryptic if I didn't know how to find the documentation.  :)

Posted by "James D. Rallo" <jr...@uppermohawkinc.com>.
I would not use ExchangeSpamC (I had to mod it HEAVLY to make it work,
after I get done testing the mods I did, I'm going to let the author
know of the issues I found) it is not viable at this point in time for
production use.

If the OP would like to test my mods, contact me off list and I will
provide install instructions, source, and binaries.

Posted by Kai Schaetzl <ma...@conactive.com>.
Loren Wilton wrote on Mon, 13 Aug 2007 05:28:09 -0700:

> Short of managing to get in touch with the author of the sink and getting
> him to fix it

I would surely contact the author as he seems to maintain this program. On
top of that page there is:
6/17/2007 ESA and SpamAssassin have been tested through version 3.2.1
And consider a Paypal donation once it works for you, lynk!

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany

Re: MS outlook can't read parsed email... HELP!!

Posted by Loren Wilton <lw...@earthlink.net>.

Posted by lynk <is...@gmail.com>.

Loren Wilton wrote:

>> i managed to find out what the problems are (or so i thought), but i
>> could
>> not get a fix.. it seems that the parsed email get an extra newline char
>> on
>> almost every message header:value pairs. (i.e. from:value
>> if
>> anyone can help me out here, i'll be grateful.... Thank's so much.
>
>>>This is usually the sign of a messed-up interface between SA and
Exchange.
>>>I don't think you have actually stated how you have SA integrated with
>>>Exchange, so we can't help much.
>
> Ok... what i did was installing SA(3.1.9) to run under Windows environment
> with Perl 5.8.7.. (at least i have tried running the spamassassin -D -t
> <sample-spam.txt>spam.txt successfully.) Outlook/OE managed to read the
> output file. Then i followed instructions and installed Exchange SMTP
> Transport Event Sink provided by christopher
> lewis(http://www.christopherlewis.com/ESA/ExchangeSpamAssassin.htm). OE is
> stilll able to read the output from the sample-spam.txt when i tested it
> again. From then on, i didnot do anything much.. just some changes to the
> local.cf like the required_score, etc... I thought it was a successful
> installation until users starts complaining re the unreadable emails... be
> it spam or non-spam.. I checked the raw text files and it seems that
> something added an extra newline characters on almost every message
> headers on the file. I tried contacting the ESA Sink author with no
> response. I reinstalled Perl and SA from scratch as well as the ESA sink
> to no avail. I still get the same results.
> So the question is...
>
>>>I believe there are several ways to do it,
>>>and the one you picked isn't working right.
>
> Can u suggest other ways that might have worked?
>
>>>I know there are people that
>>>have this sort of setup working, so it is certainly possible with the
right
>>>bits and pieces.
>
> Could it be my Exchange settings in the first place that might have
> prevented SA from working correctly with Exchange?
>
>>>        Loren

Thank you so much for all this... I really need to get SA to work on my
system..

Re: MS outlook can't read parsed email... HELP!!

Posted by Loren Wilton <lw...@earthlink.net>.
> i managed to find out what the problems are (or so i thought), but i could
> not get a fix.. it seems that the parsed email get an extra newline char
> on
> almost every message header:value pairs. (i.e. from:value
> if
> anyone can help me out here, i'll be grateful.... Thank's so much.

This is usually the sign of a messed-up interface between SA and Exchange.
I don't think you have actually stated how you have SA integrated with
Exchange, so we can't help much.  I believe there are several ways to do it,
and the one you picked isn't working right.  I know there are people that

Posted by lynk <is...@gmail.com>.

Posted by jdow <jd...@earthlink.net>.
From: "Evan Platt" <ev...@espphotography.com>

Posted by Evan Platt <ev...@espphotography.com>.