Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Vasiliy Boulytchev <va...@boulytcheva.com> on 2002/04/23 01:29:35 UTC

logging domains

Ladies and Gents,
    My problem is that apache is NOT putting in the log files the domain names people hit.  The server I'm working with is really build like **** so we're trying to rebuild this thing piece by piece.  It would be MUCH simpler for me to have apache put domain names in the log (yes, the previous admin used one log file for 450 domains) so Webalizer can spit out reports regarding different domains, not just http usage for the whole server.  If anyone has any other suggestiong (other than rebuild the virtual hosts to log separately), please let me know.
Curent log entrees look like this :

63.252.192.227 - - [22/Apr/2002:17:28:13 -0600] "GET /pix2.gif HTTP/1.1" 200 821

Thanks for your help,

Vasiliy Boulytchev
Colorado Information Technologies Inc.

Re: logging domains

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
Vasiliy Boulytchev wrote:
> Ladies and Gents,
>     My problem is that apache is NOT putting in the log files the domain
> names people hit.

See:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/logs.html#virtualhosts

Joshua.

Re: logging domains

Posted by Kyle <ky...@ccidomain.com>.
Vasiliy,

Why not have webalizer do the DNS lookups when it crunches the log files
by using switches like this:
-N 50 -D /var/cache/webalizerDNScache

Webalizer is very quick about crunching the IP addresses, and it frees
up Apache for web serving.  We used to have "hostnamelookups on" but
found about a *** 20:1 *** speed increase by turning hostnamelookups
back off and letting webalizer do the dns lookups when it crunches the
log files later.

-Kyle