Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Rahul Jain <ra...@yahoo.com> on 2005/06/10 11:14:51 UTC

Replication and Synchronization of Repositories

Hi:

We are using subversion as the source code control
tool. Now we are expanding our operations and are
opening a new office in another city and will have a
new subversion server there. We want to replicate all
the repositories from the main office to the new
office and set it up in such a way that people can
work simultaneously in both the locations. So, if one
user commits a change in the main office it should be
replicated to the new office repository server and
vice-versa.

How can I enable this in subversion?

Thanks,
Rahul.

Re: Replication and Synchronization of Repositories

Posted by Ulrich Eckhardt <ec...@satorlaser.com>.
Rahul Jain wrote:
> We are using subversion as the source code control
> tool. Now we are expanding our operations and are
> opening a new office in another city and will have a
> new subversion server there. We want to replicate all
> the repositories from the main office to the new
> office and set it up in such a way that people can
> work simultaneously in both the locations. So, if one
> user commits a change in the main office it should be
> replicated to the new office repository server and
> vice-versa.
>
> How can I enable this in subversion?

You can't, Subversion doesn't offer this feature. Apart from that, there is a
project called SVK which is built on top of subversion which gives you
exactly this feature, it might be worth having a look at.

Other than that, Subversion was designed to be bandwidth-conservative, so it
really works across a high-latency, low bandwidth VPN. I have no idea what
your exact requirements are, but I wanted to mention this aspect.

Uli