Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Ilya Kazakevich <Il...@JetBrains.com> on 2011/12/08 12:15:05 UTC

Tomcat JMX/RMI: How server interface is choosen?

I enable JMX server and JMX Registry in tomcat using

<Listener className="org.apache.catalina.mbeans.JmxRemoteLifecycleListener"
      rmiRegistryPortPlatform="10001" rmiServerPortPlatform="10002" />
Client connects to 10001 and tomcat returns its address and port 10002,
right?
But if I have several addresses on the interface tomcat returns the first
one.

Is it tomcat or RMI issue?
How can I set interface and/or ip address to be returned to the client?
Is it possible to use JMX directly over the one TCP port with out of all
that RMI stuff?

Ilya Kazakevich,
Developer
JetBrains Inc
http://www.jetbrains.com
"Develop with pleasure!"

Re: Tomcat JMX/RMI: How server interface is choosen?

Posted by Pid <pi...@pidster.com>.
On 08/12/2011 11:15, Ilya Kazakevich wrote:
> I enable JMX server and JMX Registry in tomcat using
>
> <Listener className="org.apache.catalina.mbeans.JmxRemoteLifecycleListener"
>       rmiRegistryPortPlatform="10001" rmiServerPortPlatform="10002" />
> Client connects to 10001 and tomcat returns its address and port 10002,
> right?
> But if I have several addresses on the interface tomcat returns the first
> one.

Exact OS, Java, Tomcat versions please?

> Is it tomcat or RMI issue?

This listener binds the JMX server to 'localhost'.  It aims to help when
both JMX ports need to be known, e.g. when you're making a connection
through a firewall.

> How can I set interface and/or ip address to be returned to the client?

You can configure JMX manually.

> Is it possible to use JMX directly over the one TCP port with out of all
> that RMI stuff?

JMX can support multiple protocols, RMI is the one supported OOTB.

You can configure JMXMP if you find the optional support jar.  I'm not
sure what its status is, so YMMV.

> Ilya Kazakevich,
> Developer
> JetBrains Inc