Posted to dev@synapse.apache.org by "Asankha C. Perera" <as...@wso2.com> on 2007/03/01 08:08:49 UTC

[VOTE] Re: Simplifying Properties / use of Registries...

Ok.. let us recap and try to finalize the changes we are about to make
with a vote

1. main sequence and fault sequence
The main sequence executes for all messages that are handled through
message mediation (i.e. not targeted to a proxy)

Option1: Write main mediation sequence within the synapse
configurations' main/enclosing tag. (NOTE: the <rules> tag has been
dropped, and it is possible that you define a couple of mediators
followed by say an endpoint definition and then another few mediators
etc. if you want! This is more like scripting languages)
<synapse xmlns="..."
    mediator*
    mediator*
</synapse>

Option 2: Expect a <sequence key="main"....> and an <sequence
key="fault"...> on the local registry, or remote registry if a local
definition does not exist. If neither can be found, default to a <send>
and <log> respectively.

<synapse xmlns="..."
    <sequence key="main">
       mediator+
    </sequence>?
    <sequence key="fault"....>?
</synapse>

2. Overall configuration - decide on the name of the main element, and
noun vs verb usage
Option1:
<synapse xmlns="http://ws.apache.org/ns/synapse">
    <define-registry../>
    <define-proxy..../>
    <define-sequence.../>
    <define-endpoint..../>
</synapse>

Option 2: This is similar to a WSDL - but note that we are using the
Synapse NS
<definitions xmlns="http://ws.apache.org/ns/synapse">
    <registry../>
    <proxy..../>
    <sequence.../>
    <endpoint..../>
</definitions>

Option 3:
<synapse xmlns="http://ws.apache.org/ns/synapse">
    <definitions>
        <registry../>
        <proxy..../>
        <sequence.../>
        <endpoint..../>
    </definitions>
</synapse>

3. Element / Attribute naming
Option 1: <fooBar fooBar="xx"/>
Option 2: <fooBar foo-bar="xx"/>
Option 3: <foo-bar foo-bar="xx"/>
Option 4: <foo-bar fooBar="xx"/>

4. Element name that defines a local registry entry that would override
a remote registry entry with the same name
    <elementname key="string"  [src="url"]>
      string? | <inline-xml/>?
   <elementname/>

Depending on the result of question # 2 for the outer element name:

    <synapse ...>
          <insert-registry  |  entry | define-entry | registry-entry |
local-entry  >
    </synapse>

    <definitions ...>
          <insert-registry  | entry | registry-entry | local-entry >
    </definitions>

Pick one: insert-registry, entry, registry-entry, define-entry, local-entry

thanks
asankha

Re: [VOTE] Re: Simplifying Properties / use of Registries...

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.
ant elder wrote:
> 1. I think i like option 1 but is there still a way to say a mediator is
> only for fault messages?

Absolutely. This is like in normal scripting languages- if you define
something it just gets defined and any other code is directly executed:

<definitions>
   <!-- log all messages -->
   <log/>

   <!-- define what happens when a fault occurs -->
   <sequence name="fault">
     ..
   </sequence>

   <send/>
</definitions>

Sanjiva.
--
Sanjiva Weerawarana, Ph.D.

Re: [VOTE] Re: Simplifying Properties / use of Registries...

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
1. I think i like option 1 but is there still a way to say a mediator is
only for fault messages?

2. option 2

3. option 1

4. localEntry or registryEntry

   ...ant

Posted by Chathura Ekanayake <cc...@gmail.com>.
Here is my vote:

1. main sequence and fault sequence: Option 2

2. Overall configuration: Option 2

3. Element / Attribute naming: Option 1

4. Element name that defines a local registry entry that would override
a remote registry entry with the same name:

 <definitions ...>
          <entry>
    </definitions>

Chathura

Re: [VOTE] Re: Simplifying Properties / use of Registries...

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.
Sorry for my late posting!!!

I like

1. Option 2.
2. Option 2
3. Option 3
4. local-entry (implies not persisted).

Paul

On 3/5/07, Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk> wrote:
> [...]
> >
> > 3. Element / Attribute naming
> > Option 1: <fooBar fooBar="xx"/>
> > Option 2: <fooBar foo-bar="xx"/>
> > Option 3: <foo-bar foo-bar="xx"/>
> > Option 4: <foo-bar fooBar="xx"/>
> >
> > 4. Element name that defines a local registry entry that would override
> > a remote registry entry with the same name
> >    <elementname key="string"  [src="url"]>
> >      string? | <inline-xml/>?
> >   <elementname/>
> >
> > Depending on the result of question # 2 for the outer element name:
> >
> >    <synapse ...>
> >          <insert-registry  |  entry | define-entry | registry-entry |
> > local-entry  >
> >    </synapse>
> >
> >    <definitions ...>
> >          <insert-registry  | entry | registry-entry | local-entry >
> >    </definitions>
> >
> > Pick one: insert-registry, entry, registry-entry, define-entry, local-entry

Paul Fremantle

http://bloglines.com/blog/paulfremantle
paul@wso2.com

Re: [VOTE] Re: Simplifying Properties / use of Registries...

Posted by Ruwan Linton <ru...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

I have done with the proposed configuration language draft and checked that
in to the svn.

As Asankha has created a link to the previous configuration language from
the main synapse page [1], which is served from the configuration language
of the 0.91 release tag in the svn, now it is redundant to manage an another
file as a proposed language. So I have directly changed the existing Synapse
Configuration language [2] and you can review it before finalizing the
language for us to proceed.

Thanks,
Ruwan.

[1] - http://ws.apache.org/synapse/
[2] -
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/webservices/synapse/trunk/java/src/site/resources/Synapse_Configuration_Language.html?content-type=text%2Fhtml&view=co

Re: [VOTE] Re: Simplifying Properties / use of Registries...

Posted by Ruwan Linton <ru...@gmail.com>.
On 3/5/07, Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk> wrote:

> Paul Fremantle wrote:
> > I'm +1 to the idea here: it would not be too
> >> if no
> >
> > Asankha, can I ask you to please update the config language page first
> > so we do one last review before we start coding?
>
> +1!!!!

OK. I will check in the proposed configuration as a separate document to the
svn and send the link to the list by keeping the old configuration until we
do the implementations, on behalf of Asankha.

Sanjiva.
> --
> Sanjiva Weerawarana, Ph.D.
> Founder & Director; Lanka Software Foundation; http://www.opensource.lk/
> Founder, Chairman & CEO; WSO2, Inc.; http://www.wso2.com/
> Director; Open Source Initiative; http://www.opensource.org/

Ruwan Linton

Re: [VOTE] Re: Simplifying Properties / use of Registries...

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.
Asankha C. Perera wrote:
> _Notes:_
> The possibility to define your main mediator in-line right within the
> <definitions> without having to create a sequence named main would have
> its advantages, especially if all that a user wants to do is perform
> message mediation. Hence if we do support that, it would be possible to
> write a configuration such as :
> <definitions><log/><send/></definitions>. As it would not be too
> difficult for us to support this *in addition* to the main/fault
> mediators in sequences, I propose that we do support this as well, if no
> one is -1

So what you're saying is effectively do option 1 and 2 for question 1
right? If so +1!

> Paul's suggestion to use the word 'local' to imply that its not
> persisted does have value, and Tijs and Ant agrees on it. After checking
> with Ruwan, Indika and Chathura verbally, I think this should be what we
> should go ahead with, if no one is -1.

+1 from me.

Sanjiva.
--
Sanjiva Weerawarana, Ph.D.

Re: [VOTE] Re: Simplifying Properties / use of Registries...

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.

Asankha C. Perera wrote:
> [...]
>
> 3. Element / Attribute naming
> Option 1: <fooBar fooBar="xx"/>
> Option 2: <fooBar foo-bar="xx"/>
> Option 3: <foo-bar foo-bar="xx"/>
> Option 4: <foo-bar fooBar="xx"/>
>
> 4. Element name that defines a local registry entry that would override
> a remote registry entry with the same name
>    <elementname key="string"  [src="url"]>
>      string? | <inline-xml/>?
>   <elementname/>
>
> Depending on the result of question # 2 for the outer element name:
>
>    <synapse ...>
>          <insert-registry  |  entry | define-entry | registry-entry |
> local-entry  >
>    </synapse>
>
>    <definitions ...>
>          <insert-registry  | entry | registry-entry | local-entry >
>    </definitions>
>
> Pick one: insert-registry, entry, registry-entry, define-entry, local-entry

Sanjiva Weerawarana, Ph.D.

Re: [VOTE] Re: Simplifying Properties / use of Registries...

Posted by "Asankha C. Perera" <as...@wso2.com>.
My vote is as follows:

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.
Asankha C. Perera wrote:
> Ok.. let us recap and try to finalize the changes we are about to make
> with a vote
>
> 1. main sequence and fault sequence
> The main sequence executes for all messages that are handled through
> message mediation (i.e. not targeted to a proxy)
>
> Option1: Write main mediation sequence within the synapse
> configurations' main/enclosing tag. (NOTE: the <rules> tag has been
> dropped, and it is possible that you define a couple of mediators
> followed by say an endpoint definition and then another few mediators
> etc. if you want! This is more like scripting languages)
> <synapse xmlns="..."
>    mediator*
>    mediator*
> </synapse>

+1 for this.

> 2. Overall configuration - decide on the name of the main element, and
> noun vs verb usage
> Option1:
> <synapse xmlns="http://ws.apache.org/ns/synapse">
>    <define-registry../>
>    <define-proxy..../>
>    <define-sequence.../>
>    <define-endpoint..../>
> </synapse>
>
> Option 2: This is similar to a WSDL - but note that we are using the
> Synapse NS
> <definitions xmlns="http://ws.apache.org/ns/synapse">
>    <registry../>
>    <proxy..../>
>    <sequence.../>
>    <endpoint..../>
> </definitions>

+1 for option 2.

> Option 3:
> <synapse xmlns="http://ws.apache.org/ns/synapse">
>    <definitions>
>        <registry../>
>        <proxy..../>
>        <sequence.../>
>        <endpoint..../>
>    </definitions>
> </synapse>
>
> 3. Element / Attribute naming
> Option 1: <fooBar fooBar="xx"/>
> Option 2: <fooBar foo-bar="xx"/>
> Option 3: <foo-bar foo-bar="xx"/>
> Option 4: <foo-bar fooBar="xx"/>

+1 for option 1.

> 4. Element name that defines a local registry entry that would override
> a remote registry entry with the same name
>    <elementname key="string"  [src="url"]>
>      string? | <inline-xml/>?
>   <elementname/>
>
> Depending on the result of question # 2 for the outer element name:
>
>    <synapse ...>
>          <insert-registry  |  entry | define-entry | registry-entry |
> local-entry  >
>    </synapse>
>
>    <definitions ...>
>          <insert-registry  | entry | registry-entry | local-entry >
>    </definitions>
>
> Pick one: insert-registry, entry, registry-entry, define-entry, local-entry

+1 for a new one ;-) .. "insert", or if I'm not allowed walk-in
candidates, then "insertRegistry".

I must say this is like the Florida ballots .. lots of confusing choices
and so many option 1 choices to pick! Hard for old folks to handle for sure!

Sanjiva.
--
Sanjiva Weerawarana, Ph.D.

Re: [VOTE] Re: Simplifying Properties / use of Registries...

Posted by indika kumara <in...@gmail.com>.
My vote is in line....

On 3/1/07, Asankha C. Perera <as...@wso2.com> wrote:

> Ok.. let us recap and try to finalize the changes we are about to make
> with a vote
>
> 1. main sequence and fault sequence
> The main sequence executes for all messages that are handled through
> message mediation (i.e. not targeted to a proxy)
>
> Option 2: Expect a <sequence key="main"....> and an <sequence
> key="fault"...> on the local registry, or remote registry if a local
> definition does not exist. If neither can be found, default to a <send>
> and <log> respectively.
>
> <synapse xmlns="..."
>     <sequence key="main">
>        mediator+
>     </sequence>?
>     <sequence key="fault"....>?
> </synapse>

     + 1

> 2. Overall configuration - decide on the name of the main element, and
> noun vs verb usage
> Option 2: This is similar to a WSDL - but note that we are using the
> Synapse NS
> <definitions xmlns="http://ws.apache.org/ns/synapse">
>     <registry../>
>     <proxy..../>
>     <sequence.../>
>     <endpoint..../>
> </definitions>

   +1

> 3. Element / Attribute naming
> Option 1: <fooBar fooBar="xx"/>

  +1

4. Element name that defines a local registry entry that would override
> a remote registry entry with the same name
>     <elementname key="string"  [src="url"]>
>       string? | <inline-xml/>?
>    <elementname/>
>
> Depending on the result of question # 2 for the outer element name:
> entry

thanks
indika

Re: [VOTE] Re: Simplifying Properties / use of Registries...

Posted by Ruwan Linton <ru...@gmail.com>.
On 3/1/07, Asankha C. Perera <as...@wso2.com> wrote:

> Ok.. let us recap and try to finalize the changes we are about to make
> with a vote
>
> 1. main sequence and fault sequence
> The main sequence executes for all messages that are handled through
> message mediation (i.e. not targeted to a proxy)
>
> Option1: Write main mediation sequence within the synapse
> configurations' main/enclosing tag. (NOTE: the <rules> tag has been
> dropped, and it is possible that you define a couple of mediators
> followed by say an endpoint definition and then another few mediators
> etc. if you want! This is more like scripting languages)
> <synapse xmlns="..."
>     mediator*
>     mediator*
> </synapse>
>

> Option 2: Expect a <sequence key="main"....> and an <sequence
> key="fault"...> on the local registry, or remote registry if a local
> definition does not exist. If neither can be found, default to a <send>
> and <log> respectively.
>
> <synapse xmlns="..."
>     <sequence key="main">
>        mediator+
>     </sequence>?
>     <sequence key="fault"....>?
> </synapse>

+1 for the option 2

2. Overall configuration - decide on the name of the main element, and
> noun vs verb usage
> Option1:
> <synapse xmlns="http://ws.apache.org/ns/synapse">
>     <define-registry../>
>     <define-proxy..../>
>     <define-sequence.../>
>     <define-endpoint..../>
> </synapse>
>
> Option 2: This is similar to a WSDL - but note that we are using the
> Synapse NS
> <definitions xmlns="http://ws.apache.org/ns/synapse">
>     <registry../>
>     <proxy..../>
>     <sequence.../>
>     <endpoint..../>
> </definitions>

+1 for the option 2

Option 3:
> <synapse xmlns="http://ws.apache.org/ns/synapse">
>     <definitions>
>         <registry../>
>         <proxy..../>
>         <sequence.../>
>         <endpoint..../>
>     </definitions>
> </synapse>
>
> 3. Element / Attribute naming
> Option 1: <fooBar fooBar="xx"/>

+1 for the option 1

Option 2: <fooBar foo-bar="xx"/>
> Option 3: <foo-bar foo-bar="xx"/>
> Option 4: <foo-bar fooBar="xx"/>
>
> 4. Element name that defines a local registry entry that would override
> a remote registry entry with the same name
>     <elementname key="string"  [src="url"]>
>       string? | <inline-xml/>?
>    <elementname/>
>
> Depending on the result of question # 2 for the outer element name:
>
>     <synapse ...>
>           <insert-registry  |  entry | define-entry | registry-entry |
> local-entry  >
>     </synapse>
>
>     <definitions ...>
>           <insert-registry  | entry | registry-entry | local-entry >
>     </definitions>
>
> Pick one: insert-registry, entry, registry-entry, define-entry,
> local-entry

+1 for entry

thanks
> asankha

Ruwan.

--
Ruwan Linton

Re: [VOTE] Re: Simplifying Properties / use of Registries...

Posted by Glen Daniels <gl...@thoughtcraft.com>.
Hi folks:

Chiming in a little late, but here's my votes/comments.

> 1. main sequence and fault sequence
>
> Option 2: Expect a <sequence key="main"....> and an <sequence
> key="fault"...> on the local registry, or remote registry if a local
> definition does not exist. If neither can be found, default to a <send>
> and <log> respectively.

+1 for this option, BUT (and this is a big but) can we please not have
Synapse come out of the box configured to be a huge security hole?  Open
proxies (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_proxy) are generally bad
policy, and while it should be possible for people to configure their
Synapse installations to forward any/all messages, it absolutely should
not default to those settings.  So, I vote that we make synapse by
default simply drop all messages.  If you want to enable a "main"
sequence which contains <send>, by all means - we could even leave it in
the config file commented out (with an appropriate warning).

> 2. Overall configuration - decide on the name of the main element, and
> noun vs verb usage
>
> Option 2: This is similar to a WSDL - but note that we are using the
> Synapse NS
> <definitions xmlns="http://ws.apache.org/ns/synapse">
>    <registry../>
>    <proxy..../>
>    <sequence.../>
>    <endpoint..../>
> </definitions>

+1 to this structure, but I prefer "config" (or "synapse") to
"definitions", to avoid potential confusion with WSDL.

In general I believe XML config should be nouns, since they're more
declarative where verbs imply a more procedural orientation.

> 3. Element / Attribute naming
> Option 1: <fooBar fooBar="xx"/>

+1

> 4. Element name that defines a local registry entry that would override
> a remote registry entry with the same name
>
> Pick one: insert-registry, entry, registry-entry, define-entry, local-entry

Of these I like <entry> best.  Since this structure in many ways mirrors
the Axis context hierarchy (a stack of contexts where you can ask for a
value and you get back the one closest to your level), I might also
suggest <property>.

--Glen