Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Memory Makers <me...@gmail.com> on 2011/11/01 16:47:22 UTC

simple persistance layer on top of Solr

Greetings guys,

I have been thinking of using Solr as a simple database due to it's
blinding speed -- actually I've used that approach in some projects with
decent success.

Any thoughts on that?

Thanks,

MM.

Re: simple persistance layer on top of Solr

Posted by Memory Makers <me...@gmail.com>.
Well I want something beyond a key value store.

  I want to be able to free-text search documents
  I want to be able to retrieve documents based on other criteria

  I'm not sure how that would compare with something like MongoDB.

Thanks.

Posted by Walter Underwood <wu...@wunderwood.org>.

Posted by Robert Stewart <bs...@gmail.com>.
It is not a horrible idea.  Lucene has a pretty reliable index now (it should not get corrupted).  And you can do backups with replication.

If you need ranked results (sort by relevance), and lots of free-text queries then using it makes sense.  If you just need boolean search and maybe some sort of joins or aggregate functions, maybe some other NoSQL solution would be better (more flexible query language, etc.).

Also, see these links:

http://www.lucidimagination.com/blog/2010/04/30/nosql-lucene-and-solr/

and

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3215029/nosql-mongodb-vs-lucene-or-solr-as-your-database

Bob

Posted by Mikhail Garber <mi...@garbercentral.com>.
This is very good idea and I used it several times over the years with
great success. As long as you understand limitations (global
transactions, not being able to "update" records, ...)

Posted by Memory Makers <me...@gmail.com>.
Well,

I've done a lot of work with MySQL and content management systems -- and
frankly whenever I have to integrate with Solr or do some Lucene work I am
amazed at the speed -- even when I index web pages for search -- MySQL
pales by comparison when data sets get large (2> million rows)

Thanks,

MM.

Posted by Robert Stewart <bs...@gmail.com>.