Posted to user@pivot.apache.org by Roger Whitcomb <Ro...@actian.com> on 2015/01/16 00:21:25 UTC

Anyone using ...?

Hi,
                I'm curious about anyone using Pivot with either Java 8 Lambdas, or using Pivot with Scala or Groovy.  If you are could you let us know with a few comments about your experiences (good or bad)?
                Basically thinking about changes / extensions to Pivot that we could work on for future versions to more easily / compactly support these newer languages.

Thanks,
~Roger Whitcomb

Re: Anyone using ...?

Posted by Sandro Martini <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,
sorry for the delay but I was in bed with flu ...

my toy projects with Groovy and Scala didn't have specific problems.
Just for info, I tried even to use Scala as scripting language inside
bxml files and in this case problems are due to Scala not using
default Java Beans conventions.

In trunk there are some small features that could be useful with
Groovy/Scala, for example:
- the ability to set a Classloader from an outside environment (like
from a Groovy script) ... there should be a sample for this if I
remember well
- some work (only started) with immutable containers, and support for
SAM-like methods (good even for Java 8) ...

I'm starting to prototipe a simple DSL for building Pivot UI (instead
of bxml) and checked at compile time, on this Groovy and Scala are
great !!
This could even open the way for another skin where the output is HTML
5, and a running app using that skin could serve its GUI opening
default browser (if any) on that port (and of course making it
available even to others) ...

What do you think ?

Bye,
Sandro

Re: Anyone using ...?

Posted by Roger and Beth Whitcomb <Ro...@rbwhitcomb.com>.
Hi Karel,
     Definitely that is one thing I've been looking at with our
application -- lots and lots of boilerplate code for listeners and
registering listeners, and tons of POJOs just to hold values for the
GUI, which are then transferred to the "real" objects.... I'd like to
have some automatic ways to register listeners, and then be able to use
Lambdas or closures for handling events (property change notifications).

     So, sounds like we're pretty much on the same page with this (or am
I off base still?)....  Feel free to share other thoughts as you see things.

Thanks,
~Roger

RE: Anyone using ...?

Posted by Karel Hübl <ka...@gemsystem.cz>.
Hi Roger,

We plan to use Pivot with Groovy in our next project. Expected use cases:

-        Use closures instead of annonymous inner classes adapting common
Pivot interfaces - typically component listeners, asynchronous actions

-        Use groovy beans for property bindable models. Now we use POJO's,
so we need to implement model POJO, model property listener and property
change notification in POJO. We expect, we could intercept property changes
in Groovy using GroovyInterceptable.setProperty() and implement
org.apache.pivot.collections.Map on groovy bean parent / trait. The goal is
to be able to declare strictly properties on groovy model classes and do not
implement (boilerplate) support for Pivot property change notifications.

Re: Anyone using ...?

Posted by Jamal BERRICH <jb...@gmail.com>.
to start with this doxument
http://zeroturnaround.com/rebellabs/a-month-of-jvm-languages-groovy-ceylon-kotlin-and-scala/