Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Antonio Petrelli <ap...@apache.org> on 2006/10/02 14:12:36 UTC

[tiles2] Removal of controllerClass and controllerUrl

Hello everybody :-)
In InsertTag the "controllerClass" and "controllerUrl" have been
removed, I guess according to this JIRA issue:
http://issues.apache.org/struts/browse/SB-21
I don't know if it's correct, because, as it is said in taglibs docs,
the class or the URL is called immediately before rendering:
http://struts.apache.org/1.x/struts-tiles/tagreference.html#insert

I think that "controllerUrl" can be replaced by specifying the URL
itself in the "value" attribute of <tiles:put> (or <put>). This URL must
forward to the final JSP page, e.g. it could be a classic Struts action
with one or more forwards.
About "controllerClass" I don't know if it is useful, and I don't know
if the created instance of that class is cached or not (in the second
case it could be a great performance issue).

I think that those attributes have been correctly removed, but the FAQ
needs to be updated. I wrote this mail to know if you agree with me so I
could write a FAQ for this, or if it is the case of re-putting those
attributes back.
Please let me know what you think.

TIA
Antonio

Re: [tiles2] Removal of controllerClass and controllerUrl

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <ap...@apache.org>.
Greg Reddin ha scritto:
> On Oct 2, 2006, at 7:12 AM, Antonio Petrelli wrote:
>
>> Hello everybody :-)
>> In InsertTag the "controllerClass" and "controllerUrl" have been
>> removed, I guess according to this JIRA issue:
>> http://issues.apache.org/struts/browse/SB-21
>> I don't know if it's correct, because, as it is said in taglibs docs,
>> the class or the URL is called immediately before rendering:
>> http://struts.apache.org/1.x/struts-tiles/tagreference.html#insert
>
> It looks like I removed them in revision 419638.  But I can't tell why
> specifically I removed those from the commit message.  At first glance
> it seems like an error.

I opened an issue for that, and I will try to make some experiment.
https://issues.apache.org/struts/browse/SB-50

Ciao

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <ap...@apache.org>.
Greg Reddin ha scritto:
> On Oct 2, 2006, at 7:12 AM, Antonio Petrelli wrote:
>
>> Hello everybody :-)
>> In InsertTag the "controllerClass" and "controllerUrl" have been
>> removed, I guess according to this JIRA issue:
>> http://issues.apache.org/struts/browse/SB-21
>> I don't know if it's correct, because, as it is said in taglibs docs,
>> the class or the URL is called immediately before rendering:
>> http://struts.apache.org/1.x/struts-tiles/tagreference.html#insert
>
> It looks like I removed them in revision 419638.  But I can't tell why
> specifically I removed those from the commit message.  At first glance
> it seems like an error.

I don't know, it seems that controller classes are like Struts actions
without a forward, and controller URLs seem to call Struts actions but
without considering the forward...
 From my POV it is like moving a part of controller to the view layer
and, again from my POV, is not very elegant, and it is like modifying
the "template" attribute value to point to the controllerUrl and
considering the forward.

> Can you specify a controllerClass and/or controllerUrl on the
> <definition> tag?

Only in <definition> inside tiles-defs.xml, not in <tiles:definition>,
that's strange...

>   If so, maybe I intended for the <insert> tag to not support it.

You mean that <tiles:insert> should "almost" work (i.e. without creating
a ComponentDefinition object) as <tiles:definition>? If it is so, I
agree with you.

Posted by Greg Reddin <gr...@apache.org>.
On Oct 2, 2006, at 7:12 AM, Antonio Petrelli wrote:

> Hello everybody :-)
> In InsertTag the "controllerClass" and "controllerUrl" have been
> removed, I guess according to this JIRA issue:
> http://issues.apache.org/struts/browse/SB-21
> I don't know if it's correct, because, as it is said in taglibs
> docs, the class or the URL is called immediately before rendering:
> http://struts.apache.org/1.x/struts-tiles/tagreference.html#insert

It looks like I removed them in revision 419638.  But I can't tell
why specifically I removed those from the commit message.  At first
glance it seems like an error.  I'll take a few minutes today and
check into it to see if that's what I really meant to do.  Can you
specify a controllerClass and/or controllerUrl on the <definition>
tag?  If so, maybe I intended for the <insert> tag to not support it.

Greg

Re: [tiles2] Removal of controllerClass and controllerUrl

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <ap...@apache.org>.
Antonio Petrelli ha scritto:
> <tiles:insert> (or <insert>).

Err... only <tiles:insert> please don't mind all those mistakes :-P

Re: [tiles2] Removal of controllerClass and controllerUrl

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <ap...@apache.org>.
Antonio Petrelli ha scritto:
> I think that "controllerUrl" can be replaced by specifying the URL
> itself in the "value" attribute of <tiles:put> (or <put>).

I have to correct myself, read:
I think that "controllerUrl" can be replaced by specifying the URL
itself in the "template" attribute of <tiles:insert> (or <insert>).

Ciao
Antonio

Re: http://www.skillipedia.com

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <ap...@apache.org>.
faisal abdallah ha scritto:
> For ages I 've begging to be removed from this mailing list. Now that you like my presence so much - it' s time for propaganda

Well at least you could not hijack my thread...

http://www.skillipedia.com

Posted by faisal abdallah <ju...@yahoo.co.uk>.
For ages I 've begging to be removed from this mailing list. Now that you like my presence so much - it' s time for propaganda :

   Skillipedia is a one-stop resource for all professionals: recruitment ,accommodation,  training , professional services, best resume builder on line, business events, software,  business and franchise,seo services and link exchange

  http://www.skillipedia.com